Govt and Private jobs
It’s not about the stocks, but it’s about “investment discussion” for plans of retirement.

I just want to hear your thoughts between Govt and private jobs which one is better ?.

In my field, people can work up to 70s. I know couple of coworkers are in 70s and still working. Moreover, I’m not looking forward to work until 70s like them.
Hi Tea,

Anh sẻ cho ý kiến và nhận xét riêng của anh vì anh đã làm ở 2 bên : private và public sector . Về public thì anh làm cho Federal government . Có thể state và local khác hơn và cũng tuỳ theo tiểu bang .

Financial : Private thì tiền lương cao hơn ..

Job security : government jobs có nhiều advantage. Private sectors are prone job layoffs and chúng ta have witnessed many such situations nowadays. Private sectors là theo right-to-work và có thể lay off anytime without reason ( generally speaking ) . Government layoff or " getting fire " are difficult ....

Working hours: In government jobs working hours are standard and in private people work more at office and also in home.

Promotions: In government service period plays a major role and in private experience and hard work plays a key role.

Working environment: In government thì much less stress , nhẹ nhàng hơn, có thể work from home nhiều ngày  cho dù công việc nhiều và in private jobs single project could makes a person very stressful

Benefits: In government jobs many benefits such as pensions, thrift saving funds , medical and housing loans, etc. And in private benefits như pension thì không có , tự save via 401K

More holidays và regular salary increments trong in government jobs

Đại khái , generally speaking, vậy đi nha , anh còn nhớ gì thì sẻ tu bổ thêm ... Cheer
Làm người huy hoàng phải chọn làm người dân Nam ...

a.K, 
Làm bao nhiêu năm độ tuổi bao nhiêu đuọc retire cho govt jobs anh ?.
Field của em họ rất cần nguòi trẻ lên thây thế, vì most of coworkers hiện tại em làm chung in late 50s up to 70s. It’s national shortage staffs in my field nên đi đâu cũng có việc làm.
(2018-03-25, 12:16 PM)TeaOla Wrote: a.K, 
Làm bao nhiêu năm độ tuổi bao nhiêu đuọc retire cho govt jobs anh ?.
Field của em họ rất cần nguòi trẻ lên thây thế, vì most of coworkers hiện tại em làm chung in late 50s up to 70s. It’s national shortage staffs in my field nên đi đâu cũng có việc làm.

Nếu làm cho Federal Government , thì có chương trình retire sau 10 , 20 ... 30 năm , tuỳ theo mình chọn . Số tiền pension thì adjust theo thời gian mình work cho chính phủ . Nhiều người vào làm khoãn 25 năm rồi retire, lúc đó chỉ khoãn 55 years old , và họ trở lại làm contractor cho division / agency đó , tạm gọi là double-dipping , vừa lấy retirement , vừa lãnh lương làm contractor .....

Anh nghĩ tuỳ dự án, hoàn cảnh , gia đình , ý muốn riêng ...v..v , tuỳ theo sở thích và cuộc đời mỗi người ... Ví dụ nha : Tea có chồng và chồng làm private sector , thì Tea nên vào Government để secure family income, insurance , và có thêm thời giờ lo cho con .....

Tea định đi theo State hay Federal job ?

(2018-03-25, 04:06 PM)jguest1221 Wrote: Nếu làm cho Federal Government , thì có chương trình retire sau 10 , 20 ... 30 năm , tuỳ theo mình chọn . Số tiền pension thì adjust theo thời gian mình work cho chính phủ . Nhiều người vào làm khoãn 25 năm rồi retire, lúc đó chỉ khoãn 55 years old , và họ trở lại làm contractor cho division / agency đó , tạm gọi là double-dipping , vừa lấy retirement , vừa lãnh lương làm contractor .....

Anh nghĩ tuỳ dự án, hoàn cảnh , gia đình , ý muốn riêng ...v..v , tuỳ theo sở thích và cuộc đời mỗi người ... Ví dụ nha : Tea có chồng và chồng làm private sector , thì Tea nên vào Government để secure family income, insurance , và có thêm thời giờ lo cho con .....

Tea định đi theo State hay Federal job ?
Hi a.Khoa

Theo anh thì State hay Federal cái nào better choice vậy anh ?. Gần chổ em ở có VA hospital, hiện tại thì em đang làm cho private, nếu muốn vào VA làm thì cũng phải đợi hiring process cũng hơi lâu.
(2018-03-25, 11:38 AM)TeaOla Wrote: It’s not about the stocks, but it’s about “investment discussion” for plans of retirement.

I just want to hear your thoughts between Govt and private jobs which one is better ?.

In my field, people can work up to 70s. I know couple of coworkers are in 70s and still working. Moreover, I’m not looking forward to work until 70s like them.

TO

I will probably work at least until 70 and then at 70 will apply for Social Security because at 70 you can get the most ... I have no choice but to work until old age because I dont have enough money to retire ... ???
(2018-03-27, 12:33 PM)Odysseusa Wrote: TO

I will probably work at least until 70 and then at 70 will apply for Social Security because at 70 you can get the most ... I have no choice but to work until old age because I dont have enough money to retire ... ???
I can but I dont want to work to that age.
If you have skills passing on to the younger generation, training them to be the best like you.
(2018-03-29, 06:36 AM)TeaOla Wrote: I can but I dont want to work to that age.
If you have skills passing on to the younger generation, training them to be the best like you.

TO

66% ò Millenials have nothing saved for retirement ... you must be the other 33% ò millenials who can retire

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes....nials/amp/
(2018-03-29, 11:56 AM)Odysseusa Wrote: TO

66% ò Millenials have nothing saved for retirement ... you must be the other 33% ò millenials who can retire

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes....nials/amp/

No,i’m in the 1%, have nothing and die with nothing-left.
(2018-03-29, 12:39 PM)TeaOla Wrote: No,i’m in the 1%, have nothing and die with nothing-left.

Everybody die with nothing left.  Rollin

Chọc sis TO. [Image: 2uge4p4.gif]  :kiss:
(2018-03-29, 01:17 PM)Xí Xọn Wrote: Lol
Everybody die with nothing left.  Rollin

Chọc sis TO. [Image: 2uge4p4.gif]  :kiss:

Thì đúng rồi Lol
Hi TeaOla,

Currently, I'm working for the State of California.  As a state employee the pay is just so so but the benefits are good...to me anyway.  we're unionized so not really worried about  getting fire.  It's hard to fire anyone, so a lot of people take advantage of it.  You can become a lazy worker if you let yourself become one (just look at those workers in the DMV/Social Security office  Lol ) but it can be really annoying if you happened to have a pain in the ass for a boss.  

You can work as long as you want.  I've seen people here worked well into their 70s.  Pension is based on a formula of 2.5 time the number of years you work.  So if you started work at 22 and work for 40 years when you retire you'd get 100% paid each month just like you are still working + the health benefit.  Like Mr. Guest said some do retire after 30 years and come back to work as a contractor for double dipping.  But that's kinda rare since it depends on who you know or you know something that they really need.

If you are young and ambitious you should work in the private sector, learn and earn as much as you can then when you're tired of it start looking for a government job.  Don't do it the other way OK.  I said I would work for a few years to gain experience then move on to the private sector but I'm still here Disappointed-face4 

In California it seems City > County > State.
Hi MM

Thanks for your response.

I notice most of asian want to work for govt, easy life, isn’t it ? Lol  Couple years ago, I went many interviews for State’s job. The 2nd interview was hard and I was not good enough to land any positions. Then finally, I ended getting hire from local hospital, I’d worked there for few years and I got great experiences. But when I was thinking of my future in the next 5 years if I stayed in that position, I did not see bright future, I had b!tchy boss  Lol, life was tough!. I had very hard time working with her. I ended up motivating myself to move forward for better “choices”, moreover I aimed to have solid “career” instead of a “job”. I continued making more efforts in education, and few years later I graduated and got a career that I wanted. I was back CA for few months and could not stand with the traffic. I didnt feel the same as before I left for school. I ended here, where I can see beautiful nature and of course life is much easier than S.CA.

I can work any where that I want to, even I can get travel position, I’d consider that if I were youngerLol. I believe it’s easy to get any jobs that you are age between 25-40yrs old, but harder between 50-60. If I dont land a govt’s position  now, who will hire me when I’m in 50-60? Lol. Couple of friends suggested me to join Airforce, I have the degree that they want, I will get very good benefits and great ideas for retirement. At first, I thought it’s “cool” but it’s not easy like people said. I’m thinking of switching from human medicine to animal medicine or getting in defense field. I’m so happy that my career is not ending for one specific job, It can be ranching out different fields. I’m doing more researches to see where is the best place to work at my current area.

What do you mean by “City > County > State “ ?. You  have a stable position, you dont have to be worried of downsize situation, do you ?.

Btw, I’d love to get in Govt’s system to have good benefifs when my extra income is solid.
(2018-03-26, 05:44 PM)TeaOla Wrote: Hi a.Khoa

Theo anh thì State hay Federal cái nào better choice vậy anh ?. Gần chổ em ở có VA hospital, hiện tại thì em đang làm cho private, nếu muốn vào VA làm thì cũng phải đợi hiring process cũng hơi lâu.

anh chưa bao giờ làm cho state , nên anh không có nhiều ý kiến, và mỗi state , anh nghĩ rules cũng khác nhau . Hay là em bỏ vào resume and apply cho Veteran Admin đi , nếu được thì tốt , không thì thôi . Trong khi chờ đợi , em vẫn còn job của private sector .... Anh vẫn nghĩ làm cho " government " thì job secure và benefit nhiều hơn ....

còn trong posts kia, em có nói là vào military , thì em có bằng Bachelor , sẽ ra Officer , sau khi basic training . 20 years or so from now, khi em retire , không những có pension mà medical insurance của em sẽ cover , very much , fully .... for the rest of your life .... Thumbs-up4

(2018-03-31, 10:41 AM)TeaOla Wrote: Hi MM

Thanks for your response.

I notice most of asian want to work for govt, easy life, isn’t it ? Lol  Couple years ago, I went many interviews for State’s job. The 2nd interview was hard and I was not good enough to land any positions. Then finally, I ended getting hire from local hospital, I’d worked there for few years and I got great experiences. But when I was thinking of my future in the next 5 years if I stayed in that position, I did not see bright future, I had b!tchy boss  Lol, life was tough!. I had very hard time working with her. I ended up motivating myself to move forward for better “choices”, moreover  I aimed to have solid “career” instead of a “job”. I continued making more efforts in education, and few years later I graduated and got a career that I wanted. I was back CA for few months and could not stand with the traffic. I didnt feel the same as before I left for school. I ended here, where I can see beautiful nature and of course life is much easier than S.CA.

I can work any where that I want to, even I can get travel position, I’d consider that if I were youngerLol. I believe it’s easy to get any jobs that you are age between 25-40yrs old, but harder between 50-60. If I dont land a govt’s position  now, who will hire me when I’m in 50-60? Lol. Couple of friends suggested me to join Airforce, I have the degree that they want, I will get very good benefits and great ideas for retirement. At first, I thought it’s “cool” but it’s not easy like people said. I’m thinking of switching from human medicine to animal medicine or getting in defense field. I’m so happy that my career is not ending for one specific job, It can be ranching out different fields. I’m doing more researches to see where is the best place to work at my current area.

What do you mean by “City > County > State “ ?. You  have a stable position, you dont have to be worried of downsize situation, do you ?.

Btw, I’d love to get in Govt’s system to have good benefifs  when my extra income is solid.
sounds like you're having a good career path.  
I was working for a gvnt contractor located in an Airforce base for a short time. 
My plan was to stay there and switch to a civilian position later but it didn't work out as I was frustrated with the clearance process and left.