A Familiar Image
(2022-05-16, 01:12 AM)schi Wrote: ... how many limes in a jar and how much is it ... the price is time value ... i think your Màmá side might come from Zhuang Guangxi with the famous Zhuang Preserved Limes ... why don't you keep your business secret ... it's easy for someone makes that traditional preserved limes in just 1 month but look like 3 years old ... as they can make 1-month  fish sauce while the traditional one need at least 1 year to extract ... i understand why you want to revive your Màmá treasure of cooking because i feel the same way even though my Grandma cooking very simple without any fancy ... it's just because she raised me and i still miss her so ...

All my grandparents from both sides are Teochew, though I don't know where did they live in China before coming to Vietnam, except for my father.  My maternal grandpa is a descendent of a large Chinese family whose ancestors immigrated to Vietnam during the Qing Dynasty, and he can speak Vietnamese fluently because my maternal great-grandma is Vietnamese.

So why didn't I keep my business secret?  I didn't think it was necessary.  In fact, I intend to be more transparent with the production so that it helps to build consumers' confidence.  There are lots of details in the process of making those salted lemons, which I had spent a great deal of time testing and refining before arriving at the finished product.  Those details are the information I don't share.  There are nine lemons that perfectly fit into a jar, and the wholesale price is 60,000 vnd.  The regular price is 90,000 vnd, but I focus more on selling it to grocery stores and other outlets at the wholesale price.

As you probably can tell that I don't chitchat online a lot, but that's just my personality.  In addition, since I am in the process of learning to write personal stories and sharing so much personal information in public, it's better that I don't chitchat too much.

Do you know or speak Chinese at all?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuyVIII's post:
  • LeThanhPhong
(2022-05-16, 11:31 AM)DuyVIII Wrote: ...
Do you know or speak Chinese at all?

... nah ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4 ... but i have sister-in-law from China ... the time my brother stayed in Guangxi to work he saw all the vestiges proving that the region was belonged to old Vietnam ... his Chinese girlfriend can read those ancient poems but doesn't understand the meaning and my brother explain to her ... she thinks he's smart (!) ... he feels sorry for her to be left behind when old Viet people forced out of Liangguang ... then i have Chinese sis in law ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4 ... later my brother knows that her grandpa escaped from China to Vietnam just like your grandparents and then to L.A. about 79 ... her Mom follow Grandpa step but unfortunately she's caught at the border into the prison ... now anytime my sis in law relatives come to visit the U.S. they want nothing but fish sauce  ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4 ... you can sell your traditional medicine back to your hometown so ... the people there still in shortage of medicine ...
(2022-05-17, 03:02 AM)schi Wrote: ... nah ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4  ... but i have sister-in-law from China ... the time my brother stayed in Guangxi to work he saw all the vestiges proving that the region was belonged to old Vietnam ... his Chinese girlfriend can read those ancient poems but doesn't understand the meaning and my brother explain to her ... she thinks he's smart (!) ... he feels sorry for her to be left behind when old Viet people forced out of Liangguang ... then i have Chinese sis in law ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4  ... later my brother knows that her grandpa escaped from China to Vietnam just like your grandparents and then to L.A. about 79 ... her Mom follow Grandpa step but unfortunately she's caught at the border into the prison ... now anytime my sis in law relatives come to visit the U.S. they want nothing but fish sauce  ...  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4  ... you can sell your traditional medicine back to your hometown so ... the people there still in shortage of medicine ...

Thank you for confirming that, and the short story too, appreciated!  However, I must correct one thing from your comment before it could become trouble for you.  No, the people in Vietnam nowadays are not aware that salted lemons are so great for a hot drink or to use as an herbal remedy.  Kindda like the case with Mr. LTP, he didn't know that either.
(2022-05-17, 12:59 PM)DuyVIII Wrote: ... it could become trouble ... 

... ? ...
(2022-05-17, 07:36 PM)schi Wrote: ... ? ...

Please don't mind me, dear...  just figuratively speaking.  How about a translated song or another story instead...?  You know, I used to do that too, the ... three dots after a phrase.