Asian Man Disarms Robbers Shoots Both of Them, Killing 1 in SF
November 5, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO, California—Police are investigating a homicide in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood after two people were shot Thursday afternoon during an attempted robbery.

This comes as neighbors in the area become increasingly concerned with the recent spike in violent crime.

Two men got out of a car to rob an Asian man around 1 pm at the corner of Haight and Masonic. The Asian man fought both men, disarming one of the robbers, and shoots him in the face—killing him.

The second suspect was shot in the legs and was taken to the hospital, reports Dion Lim.

“I was helping a customer and we heard four shots and then we started seeing police cars. So I stepped outside and saw the paramedics doing CPR on somebody,” stated area worker Lydia Louie.

People working at shops on the street said they knew the man who was shot in the legs and sent to the hospital, reports KPIX5.

“I come out, my manager was like, ‘Those weren’t gunshots. This is Haight Street. Nothing bad like that happens on Haight Street.’ I walk down the street, I see two bodies on the floor,” stated another witness.

According to local freelance writer Susan Dyer Reynolds, the 18-24-year-old shot in the face during the attempted robbery was arrested on October 9, after a pursuit with SFPD. They recovered over 10 backpacks and belongings from multiple break-ins. District Attorney Chesa Boudin released him. “Now he’s dead.”

Feature Screenshot via KPIX5