Linh Tinh - LTP
[Quora] People in law enforcement, are there any tips/unknown loopholes people (criminals and citizens) don't know about?
[url=https://www.quora.com/People-in-law-enforcement-are-there-any-tips-unknown-loopholes-people-criminals-and-citizens-dont-know-about][/url]

Answered by Benjamin Bender:

Things I learned being a Cop that I would have never known. I apologise in advance for the wonky numbering. There was a glitch and the numbers would start over after every photo was entered. :)

1. Everyone knows holding a roll of nickels in their fist and punching someone increases the punching power of a person by an incredible amount. Most don’t know even using something smaller and lighter is devastating. Punching someone with a roll of chapstick or a Bic lighter in your fist will turn your punch from a so so to knocking someone out cold. The extra weight helps but isn’t the main thing. It’s the solid material that stops your hand from giving way upon contact. Makes your punch much more damaging because it is much more compact. A lot of guys that fight a lot/live in wild neighborhoods know this little trick. I would be breaking up fights and everyone involved has chapstick on them? I thought perhaps soft lips were a priority there in the 18th Street Insane Gangster Bloods? I forget who but someone eventually clued me in on how these young thundercats were using them.
  2. In terms of running away or catching someone in a vehicle pursuit having a vehicle that accelerates quickly will beat a vehicle with a much higher top speed. In a car chase acceleration is king, not top speed. This is why a car can never catch a motorcycle. It’s not because they’re faster. It’s not because motorcycles can go places cars can’t. It just 97% raw acceleration and 3% being able to cut through places a car can’t like between cars stopped in traffic. If you want to be a bad guy or catch them think about acceleration before overall speed…or just be smart and always use a motorcycle to commit crimes? Side benefit the licence plate is impossible to see from more than 3 feet away and you can cover your body head to toe so your sex and race can’t even be determined and not raise any suspicions.
  3. As Marine, EMT-Paramedic, Firefighter and Cop I have seen …like…whew… a whole lot of people die. I’m not counting the bijillion dead bodies I have seen, carried, rolled and had to touch, examine or whatever but people actually dying right in my presence. By far there are two most common things people say as their last words before dying (in this order). 1. I had the right of way…” 2. “Mom….” .
  4. Fireman and Police are the exact same type of people as far as personality types, sick but hilarious humor and discussions. Goals. Politics. I could detect no difference whatsoever in the kind of people that do either job. They also go through the exact same stages in their careers from excited and annoying to proficient to expert to burned out utterly and counting the seconds to retirement. Both are equally intrested in helping people and exually disgusted with humanity at the same time. They’re exactly the same people right down to every 3rd one named “Mike”. The funny thing is Police and Fire in every town I worked in that was large the two hated each other. Many a city and Church festival in St Louis City has been disrupted by fist fights between the two breaking out. It was actually quite common for Policemen and Firemen to fight at bars and beerhall events etc in the City. Ironicly I was involved in fistacuffs for both sides. Our City actually had a Police vs Fire boxing match that fills the Blues Hockey Arena every year. It’s called “Guns and Hoses”. No joke. Spoiler alert we always beat the shit out of those Firefighters, it’s a fun night and it all goes to charity. I’m not joking when I say that if you fight in Guns and Hoses and win by a knock out you will be instantly famous in the 2000 member department and in line for promotions very soon.
  5. About 75% of peoples houses have very “weird” smells. Not always necessarily bad like cat piss (which is pretty common) but more like they cook regularly with some weird ass spices. Now that I know that I ALWAYS ask people who will tell without bullshitting if my house smells weird when they first come over. You could be living in a very very weird smelling house and have no idea.
  6. Most really big guys can’t fight for shit. They have gotten by on being big since age 13 and never had to actually fight at all. They didn’t have to fist fight like me to and from school 5 days a week in Detroit because I was tall and skinny and looked easy to beat up (which I totally was for many many years until one day I wasn’t). Big guys who can’t fight will ALWAYS try to grab on to you and take you down to the floor to wrestle. Just throw jabs and move and they will be so worn out in less than a minute or two they will start dropping their hands, mouth breathing. Then you go in on them dirty with some throat punches and face shots (a good number can take hits to the body but not the jaw).. Don’t underestimate smaller guys, especially if they’re wiry.
  7. Cars never blow up. Honestly. Never. They catch on fire and the fire can spread very quickly but they don’t blow up with a big fireball like every car on every movie or TV show forever. If you drop a car off a cliff it will not explode. If you stuff a rag on fire down the fuel port it wont explode. If all the gas leaks out underneath it it wont explode. There is actually only one part of a car that actually does explode is the tires. You call it a blowout or flat tire but most of the time it’s actually an explosion of compressed air finding a weakness. It’s one of the most common causes of trucks in particular but any vehicles to crash. However once they crash from a tire explosion the car still doesn't explode. I have put out at least 500 car fires personally with a 1″3/4 preconnect attack hose or a fire extinguisher. Many of them were fully involved with fire from bumper to bumper. Never once did I ever see or hear of a car exploding. Also side fact. When you see an explosion the more fireball and flame you see the weaker the blast was. Big ass explosions that kill you…military grade explosions like artillery, grenades, mines, rockets etc have almost no “fireball” or color to the explosion. All the energy is directed to the blast. A fireball is wasted, weak energy bled off so when you see a movie with a massive fireball explosion that it was actually a very weak event despite it’s cinemagraphic look.
  8. Nobody ever says cool shit after something crazy like a shooting or some life and death event. Even the coolest, doesn’t look at explosions, eats a meatball sub over a mangled dead body with as much comfort as a at a nice table downtown STILL says “OMG DUDE DID YOU SEE THAT?????…..I JUST SHIT A KITTEN?” as they pat themselves all over looking for holes they didn’t start the day with. It’s always really scary too but you leave that part out when you’re dining out on that story for the next decade. There have been times as I was either in a building fully involved with raging fire dragging my forehead on the ground because the heat just 2 inches higher from the floor was unbearably painful or about to go do an entry knowing 100% a guy with a gun was behind the door…..just taking a beat to question my vocational choices….being alternately totally scared and pretty sure you’re going to die now and weirdly filled with endorphins that must be like what Heroin feels like and super into it all of it.
  9. People put a lot of crazy things in their butts and need medical intervention to remove them and sometimes to save their lives (like the guy that put one of those twisty shaped light bulbs up there…not the regular round normal light bulbs…the energy efficient big ones that are a twisty tube if that makes sense). Yea that broke up there and literally tore himself a new asshole. To add to his indignity I made him ride in the Ambulance with his butt up in the air and his face down in the pillow area because it was the only way to keep the wound above his heart. The ER Surgeon told me that and not applying anymore pressure (moving the glass around in the process) which was counterintuitive …combined, probably kept him alive long enough to save. His BP was something like 20/10 with a thready pulse and circling the drain.
  10. I found that despite my pride the best thing I could do as a Medic was just get them to the ER as fast as possible many times. “Load and Go” over “Stay and Play” as Paramedics say in their slang. The average Ambulance in America takes 8 minutes to arrive but in many many places its more like 15 or 20. If your loved ones life is on the line do the mental math. Can you get them to the ER before an Ambulance can get here? If someone I know is dying they’re getting thrown in a vehicle and driven to the closest ER turning corners on two tires in almost every conceivable circumstance. This is what Cops do when other Cops get hit. I have never seen or heard of a shot/stabbed St Louis City Cop arriving at the Trauma Center in an Ambulance. The nearest Cop throws you in the back seat and then does some of the scariest driving you will ever see or hear tell of to get you to the ER. If Grandpa suddenly has chest pain and trouble breathing…don’t walk him to the bedroom…walk him to the front seat of the car. You will be halfway to getting him to the ER by the time you could have finished describing what is going on and where to 911, let alone waiting for them to be notified, get to the rig and drive to you (then talk a lot and finally drive him to where?….the ER you could have been at 10 minutes after the event started instead of 45 minutes with EMS). Plus this way you get to do a dramatic Emergency Room entrance as you burst through the sliding glass doors and loudly proclaim “I NEED A DOCTOR!”
  11. If you ever see a person with a messed up looking ear (like shown below) what we call “Cauliflower Ear” and are considering fighting them, reconsider fighting with them if possible or call for backup before you get into it if you’re Police.

[Image: main-qimg-cd79679ebe59cb23b53f04ab41e482ca-pjlq]

1. Here is the rant portion: So now I would say this is a thing most people don’t know and it drives me so crazy. If you are in an accident on a road. Stop there if safe, make sure the other person is all right….Then….please pay attention here people….THEN MOVE YOUR CAR OUT OF THE ROADWAY TO SOMEWHERE SAFE LIKE THE PARKING LOT 20 YARDS AWAY IF THE CARS ARE DRIVEABLE. For some reason people like sheep tend to just freeze and not want to move after even the most minor fender bender. Sit right there in traffic hoping they don’t get hit by cars flying by and causing a major hazard cause guess what? People are going to have to be changing lanes to avoid your cars and you standing there in the street on your phone looking at your bumper. Traffic slows and people rubber neck to look. I can't tell you how many accidents Cops get a call for and there is a 2nd or even 3rd accident at that same spot before we get there. If your car can move, get it and you out of the road to a safe spot to wait for Police. Stop after the accident. Tell the person in the other car….”I’m moving to a safer place, that CVS parking lot over there.” Then go. Call 911, look for your info, check the damage…all in safety. The first thing any competent Cop asks when arriving at an accident in an active roadway with traffic is 1. Is anyone hurt? 2. Are the vehicles able to be moved? If no injuries and drivable cars the Officer will immediately direct you off the roadway to a safe location to sort things out. We can tell from the damage alone and statements exactly what happened and where, move to safety on your own. If everyone did this there would be literally 50% less traffic jams in America minimum.
  2. When people get shot they almost never die instantly. In fact the vast majority of people who are shot multiple times live. For example I once got a call for “a man shot”. Got there. 20 year old kid sitting on a stoop. He had been shot 7 times in the chest and stomach with a .45 and 2 more times in his hand/arm. He had run 6 blocks home, called 911 and was sitting there talking to me quite normally when I arrived. I mean shots dead ass center mast and all around the nipples, belly middle, not off to the side shoulder shots or something. He had powder burns we call “stippling” and soot around the entrance wounds, so someone gave him all 10 rounds in the torso at less than 5 feet. He walked to the Ambulance and climbed in when they arrived like 8 minutes later. Saw him around quite a bit after that. He was fine. No permanent problems just a big ass zipper scar from his pubes to his adams apple. My point also is even wounds that are mortal regularly take from 5 minutes to 30 minutes before the person dies and they’re totally functional until then able to shoot and move etc. BTW that kid refused to name his assailant but word quickly got out that Lil Poo from the 18th St Insane Gangster Bloods had shot him. About a month after this guy gets out of the hospital someone shot Lil Poo coming out of the corner store with a .45 multiple times in the face. No arrest ever made in the case due to lack of witnesses. You know this guy learned his lesson that just shooting someone in the chest might not kill them and just unloaded on this dudes face. His face looked like a Calzone someone threw against a wall.
  3. Trust your instincts and intuitions. If you are getting a weird vibe off a situation or a person, learn to pay attention to that. People can often detect micro expressions that a person is a threat and body language people are putting out that mean to do you harm. You often detect this unconsciously long before your conscious mind dials in and realises something is definitely wrong. You may just feel vaguely uncomfortable. Act on and be aware of your intuition. This has saved me a few times.
  4. If you’re out and about in a larger town and all the sudden have to take a crap it can be difficult to find a clean bathroom. Your best bet is always to go to a really big Hotel like a Hilton, Adams Mark, etc.

[Image: main-qimg-108c1697983d479113325afc5903730f-lq]

1. ^ The nicer chains have huge lobbies with massive bathrooms done in Marble. Spotless. Some so big you could play half court basketball in there. Even better they’re almost always empty. So if you’re on the road and some high end hotels are nearby that is your best bet.
  2. Lasty, if you want to guarantee your McDonalds fry's are incredibly hot and right out of the fryer ask for “no salt”. Then just keep some salt packets in the car. It’s the only way to get really hot fries 100% of the time. I hate cold fries. Man….now I want fries. It’s 12:34 at night now…I can make it. They don’t close until 2.

[Image: main-qimg-7f11bc35748bee3b744d6835806e771a-lq]

PS I wrote this off of the top of my head last night and I just wanted to say I really appreciate all the feedback and the comments and information everyone contributes here and in other posts. Hearing what everyone has to say is interesting, fun and is a big part of why I enjoy Quora so much. You guys are great. The comment section is always the best part of anything I write and I thank you all for your feedback, humor and information you provide. Cheers everyone!

194K views
Thread Con Chìm Có Tổ, Con Chồn Có Lông, còn Con Người ... đã bị xóa, nên LTP post trong này vậy.

LTP
-----------------

Kiến Tánh và Kiến Tánh Khởi Tu

LHH tuyên bố mình biết Kiến Tánh là gì, nó rất hiển nhiên, nói ra ai cũng biết, nhưng LHH nhất định không nói vì không muốn trao ngọc quý cho bầy heo!

https://diendanphatphap.com/diendan/thre...-du.36500/

Ha ha ha.

LHH chọc tức thiên hạ. Ha ha ha.

Mỗi pháp môn có danh từ riêng, mới đọc qua thấy khó hiểu, nhưng nói rốt ráo, tất cả các pháp môn đều có những điểm tương đồng. Kiến Tánh, Vô Biệt Niệm, Trong Cái Thấy Chỉ Có Cái Thấy diễn tả trạng thái của Chánh Định (Jhana). 

Sư Toại Khanh có một ví dụ rất rõ ràng như sau.

Mục đích là đi đến điểm A. Trong tay đã có bản đồ.  Trời tối thui trong lúc lái xe nên không  thể nhìn thấy Exit chính xác. Vì thế, ta lái vòng vòng, tâm mù mờ. Khi có tia chớp lóe lên, thấy được con đường và phương hướng rõ rệt, cho nên ta biết rõ mình phải rẽ khúc nào, và cứ thế cần làm gì để đến đích.

Đó là lý do tại sao Kiến Tánh rồi, mới Khởi Tu, cũng như có Chánh Định rồi mới thực hành Bát Chánh Đạo  rốt ráo.

----------------

Có người hỏi tại sao ngài Bahiya dùng lời hướng dẫn của Đức Phật và đắc quả trong chớp mắt. Như vậy, Đức Phật thua ngài vì Đức Phật phải trầy vai tróc vảy mới đắc đạo.

Người hỏi câu này quên vài điều căn bản:

1/ Không có lời hướng dẫn của Đức Phật, ngài Bahiya không biết "trong thấy chỉ có thấy" để thực hành.

2/ Nếu không phát hạnh nguyện trở thành Phật Chánh Đẳng Chánh Giác, Đức Phật đã có thể đắc đạo quả để nhập Niết bàn từ lâu rồi.

Như vậy, rõ ràng Thầy hơn Trò, làm sao Trò hơn Thầy được?
Composting

There are four essential elements of the composting process. 
  1. The first, nitrogen, is what you might typically think of when you think of compost, food scraps! We call them ‘greens.’ 
  2. Other green materials include green leaves, coffee grounds, eggshells and other materials that were once living,” says Lopez. 
  3. “Next is carbon, or what we call ‘browns.’ Browns include mulch, dried leaves, sawdust, newspaper clippings and brown paper towels and bags.” 
  4. Along with greens and browns, Lopez says compost also needs oxygen and water to keep the organisms that break down your food alive and well.
“Once you understand these elements, you will simply collect your greens, add them to your compost system and layer browns over the greens each time,” Lopez says. “This is called ‘lasagna composting,’ due to the layering.” Lopez says you should turn and water your compost regularly, and your pile will start to shrink as the composting process begins.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/home/how-to-compost
Opossums

Posted by Richard Strachan

[Image: main-qimg-0a5c14dfff086801e3bab72fae57cd76-pjlq]

"Opossums trông rất dễ thương, rất hiền . Chúng không thuộc về họ hàng nhà chuột, không gây bệnh chó dại .  Khi sợ hãi, chúng thường nhe răng, kêu rít lên, nhưng khi bị thất kinh hồn vía, lại lăn ra bất tỉnh .  Vì thế, các bạn đừng gây tổn thương đến opossums nhé ."

"One of the cutest beings on this planet, an opossum, also one of the most misunderstood. They are marsupials, they do not transmit rabies and are indispensable for pest control, they are naturally docile and gentle, and when scared they show their teeth and hiss to appear menacing, but when they are terrified they don't "play" possum - they quite literally faint from fear - so do not harm them!"

Credit: Rhonda Lynn
Cách trồng gừng ươm gừng tuyệt vời của Tư và cách trồng su su, xà lách | How to grow ginger faster

(Quora) What's stopping a Canadian from walking across a farmer’s field into the United States?

Answered by Jeff Wiener:

Here's a picture of me on the US side of the border taken in Derby Line, Vermont. The grey car in the background is in Canada. In the photograph, I’m touching — with my right hand — the rock that marks the border between the two countries.

[Image: main-qimg-09664c20fa0e20e76102b59c25b05742-lq]

And here's a picture that was taken of me inside The Haskell Free Library and Opera House. It’s a shared resource on the US/Canadian border. My left foot is in the US and right foot in Canada. (The black line on the wooden floor isn’t a shadow; it’s the border between two countries.)

[Image: main-qimg-a64ed6a8ee756c9319b602b02dc7d72d-lq]

The Canada/USA border is the longest single undefended land border in the world, and the above two pictures are a testament to that.

If you want to sneak across, you don’t have to do it in a farmer’s field!

1.1M views
Chỉ cần bước một bước là tới Canada. Cũng hay! - KD  Thumbs-up4
"Sáng nay thức dậy choàng thêm áo
Vũ trụ muôn đời vẫn mới tinh".
“The High Cost of Dying”: What Do the Data Show?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2690284/

Anne A Scitovsky

In recent years, as national health care expenditures have risen from 5.3 percent of the gross national product (GNP) in 1960 to 7.5 percent in 1970 and to 10.5 percent in 1982, increasing concern has been expressed over what Eli Ginzberg (1980), the noted economist, has called “the high cost of dying.” Various studies of medical care expenditures show, it is argued, that we spend a “disproportionate” amount of our health care resources on patients who are terminally ill. Anecdotes about excessive use of expensive high-technology interventions on dying patients abound. In the current era of cost-containment, it is, therefore, not surprising that “the high cost of dying” has led some people to question whether resources are being “wasted” on the dying (especially if the latter are very elderly) and could (or should) be more productively allocated to other patients, or even to other socially desirable ends such as education or housing.

To be precise, most of these studies deal not with “the high cost of dying” of “terminal” patients but with medical care expenditures at the end of life, generally in the last year or six months of life. It is easy enough, of course, to designate a patient as terminal or as dying retrospectively but an entirely different matter to do so prospectively. Despite the enormous advances of modern medicine in the past fifty years or so, medical prognosis is still highly uncertain. In fact, modern medicine, by vastly increasing the armamentarium at the physician's disposal, may well have increased the difficulty and uncertainty of medical prognosis compared to the days when the physician could do little more than give moral support to the sick. Today, predicting imminent death with any degree of certainty is difficult in the case of most patients, and predicting death twelve or six or even three months in advance well-nigh impossible. The main exceptions are cancer patients for whom a prognosis of death can be made with reasonable accuracy beyond a certain point in the course of their disease; and it is no accident that hospice programs serve primarily such patients.1

Because studies of medical care expenditures at the end of life are by necessity retrospective, they generally ignore the distinction between terminal illness when defined retrospectively and when defined prospectively and treat all such expenditures as though they were expenditures of clearly terminally ill patients. Thus, high medical care costs at the end of life become “the high cost of dying” and the source of concern over “wasting” scarce resources on the care of hopelessly ill patients. The policy implications of this interpretation of the data, though rarely stated explicitly, are clear: If we want to stem the rise in medical care costs, medical care expenditures at the end of life provide an excellent target for cost-containment efforts. In practice, since currently 67 percent of the persons who die in the United States in a given year are 65 years of age or older, this means concentrating such efforts on the elderly. Such a policy may be especially tempting at present considering the concern over the projected fiscal problems of the Medicare program.

In view of these serious—not to say alarming—policy issues raised by various studies, it is urgent to examine in some detail what they actually show and what is known and not known about medical expenditures at the end of life. How much is spent on patients who die compared to patients who survive? What kinds of medical services do patients in their last year or months of life use? Because hospital expenditures account for such a large part of total medical care expenditures (42 percent in 1982), questions arise regarding the use of hospital services. Has the use of the hospital as a place to die increased in recent years? Are the high costs at the end of life due largely to aggressive, intensive treatment, to “heroics”? In short, do the available data support the hypothesis that we are spending too much of our medical dollar on the dying and, therefore, suggest that one way of curbing rising medical care costs is to target cost-containment efforts on this group? This is the basic question which will be explored in this article.

Studies of Costs at the End of Life

Studies of medical care expenditures at the end of life can be classified into two broad groups: (1) studies dealing specifically with expenditures of those who die, and (2) studies of high-cost or catastrophic illness in general which also provide some information on the share of these costs incurred by patients who do not survive.

One of the earliest in the first group is a 1961 study of hospital use in the last year of life (
Sutton 1965). It showed that 48 percent of all deaths occurred in short-stay hospitals, and that 63 percent of all decedents used some hospital services in their last year of life; corresponding figures for decedents aged 65 years and over are 45 percent and 61 percent, respectively. This study does not have data on costs, nor on the use of hospital services by patients who did not die. Such data are provided by a somewhat later study, by Timmer and Kovar (1971), of expenses for hospital and institutional care during the last year of life of adults aged 25 and over who died in 1964 and 1965. They found (not surprisingly) not only that the proportion of adult decedents who received some care in hospitals and institutions in their last year of life was very much higher than that of the living population during a 12 month period (73 percent compared to 13 percent) but also that decedents were more than twice as likely to have bills of $500 or more (!) for care in medical facilities than adults who had such care but did not die. Furthermore the median bill for such care was almost three times higher for decedents than for survivors ($691 compared to $259). In yet another study, Selma Mushkin (1974) estimated that in 1974 over 20 percent of all nonpsychiatric hospital and nursing home expenditures in nongovernment facilities were for the care of patients who died.

Several studies have examined the costs of care of cancer patients who died. A study by 
Scotto and Chiazze (1976), based on the Third National Cancer Survey, found that in 1969 and 1970 hospital payments of cancer patients who died within 24 months were almost twice as high as those of cancer patients who did not die ($3,317 compared to $1,769). A study by Cancer Care (1973), conducted in 1971 and early 1972, found that total expenditures of patients who died of advanced cancer ranged from less than $5,000 to more than $50,000 per patient, with an average cost of $21,718. More recently, a study of cancer costs in the last six months of life has been conducted by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association under contract with the Department of Health and Human Services. The unpublished final report on this study shows that medical expenditures of Blue Cross and Blue Shield enrollees under 65 years of age averaged just under $16,000 (in 1980 dollars) per decedent in this terminal phase of life (Gibbs and Newman 1982).

Since the enactment of Medicare in 1965, several studies have examined Medicare reimbursements on behalf of beneficiaries who died. The earliest of these studies, by 
Piro and Lutins (1973), of Medicare beneficiaries who died in 1967 or 1968 showed that the 5 percent of Medicare beneficiaries who died in 1967 accounted for 22 percent of all Medicare reimbursements in that year. A more recent study, by McCall (1984), of Medicare beneficiaries in Colorado who died in 1978 found that average Medicare reimbursements for enrollees who died were six times the average reimbursements for enrollees who survived ($6,000 compared to $1,000). Yet another recent study, by Helbing (1983) of the Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), showed that the 4.9 percent of Medicare enrollees who died in 1979 accounted for 21 percent of total Medicare reimbursements. Finally, a considerably more detailed study, conducted at HCFA by Lubitz and Prihoda (1984), has recently been published. They found that the 5.9 percent of Medicare beneficiaries who died in 1978 accounted for 27.9 percent of Medicare expenditures. It should be noted that in contrast to the 1967 study by Piro and Lutins and the 1979 study by Helbing, which included only Medicare reimbursements made for costs incurred in the calendar year in which the enrollee died (i.e., an average of six months’ costs), both the study by McCall and that by Lubitz and Prihoda include reimbursements for costs incurred in the entire 12-month period preceding the enrollee's death.

These are the principal studies dealing specifically with medical care costs of persons who died. In addition, there have been several studies of high-cost or catastrophic illness which show that a considerable portion of these costs is incurred by patients who die. For example, a study by 
Schroeder, Showstack, and Roberts (1979), which analyzed the experience of high-cost patients treated in a sample of San Francisco Bay Area hospitals in 1976, showed that 15 percent died while in the hospital. A follow-up study indicated that two years after discharge, at least 34 percent of the patients had died (Schroeder, Showstack, and Schwartz 1981).

Several studies of costs incurred in hospital special or intensive-care units also indicate a high use of resources by patients who do not survive hospitalization. 
Turnbull et al. (1979), analyzing data for the first 1,035 patients admitted to the critical-care unit of Memorial Cancer Center in 1971, noted that only 62 percent of these patients were discharged alive. A 1970 study by Civetta (1973) of patients treated in the surgical intensive-care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital led him to conclude that “the intensive care costs generated by prolonged utilization of this type of facility seem to be inversely related to the probability of patient survival.” Three other studies are also based on data from Massachusetts General Hospital. Cullen et al. (1976), studying 226 consecutive critically ill, primarily postoperative patients admitted to an acute-care unit in 1972 and 1973, found that 21 percent of total charges were for blood and blood fractions; of this amount, 83 percent went to the 72 percent who did not survive. Thibault et al. (1980) found that of 2,693 consecutive admissions to a medical intensive-care unit between July 1977 and July 1979 “the 23 percent who required immediate intervention accounted for disproportionate shares of total charges (37 percent) and deaths during hospitalization (58 percent).” Finally, a study by Detsky et al. (1981) showed that the care of nonsurvivors treated in an intensive-care unit “involved a significantly higher mean expenditure than did the care of survivors (P < 0.01).”

What do these studies tell us about the costs of medical care at the end of life? The various studies of hospital use by decedents compared to survivors all show significantly higher levels of use and expenditures by the former than the latter. However, they are limited to hospital costs and hence do not give a full picture of total costs of care. The same is true of the studies of high-cost or catastrophic illness. In addition, most of these studies are based on treatment practices in teaching hospitals, and it is doubtful to what extent these practices are found in community hospitals which do not have all the high-technology facilities of tertiary-care centers. Moreover, even the authors themselves generally hesitate to call the aggressive treatment they document inappropriate or wasteful but only suggest that it needs further study. Thus, these studies do not provide a basis for evaluating how much aggressive care of clearly terminal patients goes on in the country as a whole, much less how much this is costing the country.

The studies of the costs of treating patients who died of cancer are somewhat more informative. In contrast to the studies of high-cost illness, which generally deal only with hospital costs, the cancer studies provide data on practically 
all costs. However, they are limited to one specific disease and hence again provide only partial information, although Lubitz and Prihoda (1984, 123) found that the pattern of expenses in the last year of life of patients who died of cancer was virtually identical to that of all decedents.
This leaves the Medicare studies, which are the best source of information on costs at the end of life available to date, although they too have their limitations. For one thing, they provide data only for persons aged 65 years and over who are covered by Medicare. However, since this age group accounts for 67 percent of all deaths, and since most persons in this age group are covered by Medicare, these studies do provide information for a large part of the population.

A more serious shortcoming is the fact that the studies furnish data only for services covered by Medicare. The major omissions are expenses for nursing home care, which Medicare covers only to a very limited extent, and for outpatient drugs, which it does not cover at all. The omission of nursing home costs is especially serious. In 1978 (the last year for which national data by age groups are available) the 65-year and over group spent $12.6 billion on nursing home care, which is 80.1 percent of total nursing home expenses and 25.6 percent of total personal health care expenses of the elderly; of this total, Medicare paid only 3.0 percent. The omission of drug expenses, though less important, is also not negligible. They amounted to $3.2 billion in 1978, which is 21.4 percent of total drug expenses of all age groups and 6.5 percent of total personal health care expenses of the elderly (
Fisher 1980).

Moreover, even for services covered by Medicare—hospital services (covered by part A) and physician services (covered by part B)—the Medicare studies do not provide data on total expenses but only on Medicare reimbursements. Because of differences in deductibles and cost-sharing provisions under the two programs, Medicare disbursement data understate total expenses for physician services to a greater extent than expenses for hospital services. In 1978, for example, Medicare paid for 74.6 percent of total hospital expenses of the elderly but for only 55.6 percent of their expenditures for physician services (
Fisher 1980).

These limitations must be kept in mind when evaluating the Medicare data on costs incurred by persons who died compared to those incurred by survivors. It is difficult to estimate which way the omission of nursing home and drug expenses and the understatement of total hospital and physician expenses because of deductibles and cost-sharing provisions bias the findings. On balance, these factors may make for a greater understatement of total expenses by survivors rather than decedents. But we really do not have adequate data, especially on nursing home expenses, to arrive at a definite conclusion at this time.

Of the four Medicare studies cited, the one by Lubitz and Prihoda (1984) is the most detailed and will, therefore, be summarized here. Moreover, while the absolute figures in the four studies differ, all show the same general trends and relationships between Medicare expenses of decedents compared to those of survivors. Because of limitations of space, only the authors’ findings for the last year of life will be presented here, although they have data for the penultimate year as well. These mirror the findings for the last year, but the total figures and differences between the two groups are smaller.

In addition to their finding that the 5.9 percent of Medicare enrollees who died accounted for 27.9 percent of total Medicare disbursements, Lubitz and Prihoda found that:

1. 92 percent of decedents, compared to 58 percent of survivors, had some Medicare reimbursements;
  2. 74 percent of decedents had one or more hospitalizations in the course of the year, compared to 20 percent of survivors;
  3. total Medicare reimbursements averaged $4,527 per enrollee for decedents and $729 for survivors—i.e., they were 6.2 times higher for decedents;
  4. reimbursements for hospital care averaged $3,484 per enrollee for decedents (or 77 percent of total reimbursements), $478 for survivors (or 66 percent of total reimbursements)—i.e., they were 7.3 times higher for decedents;
  5. 32 percent of decedents had reimbursements of $5,000 or more compared to only 4 percent of survivors;
  6. 30 percent of all expenses of decedents occurred in the last 30 days of life, 46 percent in the last 60 days, and 77 percent in the last six months of life;
  7. reimbursements per enrollee and per person receiving Medicare services decreased with increasing age for decedents but increased for survivors; as a result, the difference between the two groups decreased with increasing age: at age 67 to 69, decedents received 9.8 times the average reimbursement per enrollee as survivors whereas at age 85 and over their average reimbursement was only 3.7 times that of survivors. However, these figures would probably change considerably if nursing home expenses were included, which increase with increasing age. Total expenditures of both groups would be higher; expenses of decedents might not decrease with increasing age, but what would happen to the differential between the two groups is difficult to say for lack of adequate data.
Hospital Use at the End of Life
Because hospital expenses account for such a large part of total Medicare reimbursements for persons in their last year of life, two questions posed at the beginning of this article are worth exploring briefly: (1) Has the use of the hospital as a place to die increased over the last decade or two, and (2) are the high costs at the end of life due largely to aggressive care, and has the relative intensity of hospital care of patients who die compared to those who survive increased?

The Hospital as a Place to Die
Data on the number of deaths by place of death are surprisingly scarce. The main problem is one of definition since sometimes the data refer to short-stay hospitals only, sometimes to short-stay hospitals and long-term care institutions combined; moreover, to complicate matters still further, the definition of an institution is not always the same. Because of the scarcity of data, all available data on hospital and institutional use in the last year of life have been assembled in Table 1. As can be seen from the many blanks in the table, data on the subject are indeed few.

(LTP: VietBest does not support Excel file .  Therefore, readers need to open the link to see Table 1 and its related information .)

To sum up, the available data do not show a dramatic rise in the last 20 years in the use of the hospital as a place to die. They do show, however, that hospital use in the last year of life has increased substantially over the last 20 years, especially between the early and late 1960s rather than more recently.

Intensity of Hospital Care in the Last Year of Life
Data on the second question, regarding the intensity of hospital care of patients who die, are also scarce, although it is often assumed that the high medical-care costs at the end of life are due largely to aggressive and intensive treatment. The only study which addresses this question specifically is McCall's (1984) study of Colorado Medicare enrollees who died. She found that 67 percent of all inpatient charges incurred by decedents in their last year of life were incurred in the last quarter, while only 61 percent of their inpatient days in the last year occurred in the last quarter. She concludes that “the difference between the percent of charges and percent of inpatient days, 67 percent vs. 61 percent, indicates more intensive use of hospital services in the last days.” This difference in the two percentages does not seem so very startling, considering that these patients were probably sicker just before death than in previous hospitalizations. Thus, her finding does not necessarily indicate especially intensive or aggressive care at the end of life.

McCall's study, however, provides some other information bearing on the question of the intensity of hospital care at the end of life. Both her study and the study by Lubitz and Prihoda found that only a relatively small number of decedents had very high medical expenses in the last year of life, the kind of expenses which would indicate the use of costly, high-technology hospital services. 
McCall's (1984, 339) data show that in 1978 only 5 percent of aged decedents had Medicare reimbursements over $21,128, and only 1 percent had reimbursements over $33,094. These figures are similar to those of Lubitz and Prihoda (1984, 122) for the same year, which show that only 3 percent of decedents had reimbursements of $20,000 or more, and only 1 percent had reimbursements of $30,000 or more. If reimbursements for this last group of about 5,000 beneficiaries had been eliminated completely (and nobody is likely to advocate withholding all treatment from such very sick patients), the savings of $205 million would have amounted to 1.1 percent of total Medicare expenditures. (Total Medicare reimbursements for the study population in the Lubitz and Prihoda study amounted to $18.3 billion in 1978.) Even if reimbursements for the approximately 24,000 decedents with payments of $20,000 or more had been eliminated, Medicare savings would have been only $644 million, or 3.5 percent of total Medicare expenditures.

Thus, the data do not support the assumption that a large proportion of medical-care costs at the end of life is due to the widespread use of “heroic” interventions on behalf of patients who die. Moreover, it should be noted that about 5,000 Medicare beneficiaries who did 
not die had Medicare reimbursements of $30,000 or more, and about 25,000 beneficiaries had reimbursements of $20,000 or more, amounting to $652 million, or about 3.6 percent of total Medicare expenditures. In retrospect it is easy to regard these latter expenses as justified and to question the appropriateness of the expenditures for those who died. But it is likely that prospectively the distinction between those who would die and those who would live was not nearly so clearcut.

A comparison of data from two other Medicare studies—the 1967 study by Piro and Lutins and the 1979 study by Helbing—can shed some light on the question whether the relative intensity of hospital care of patients who die compared to those who survive has increased. The two studies used the same methodology in that the data on Medicare reimbursements for decedents include only payments made for services rendered in the calendar year of death, not in the entire 12-month period preceding death as does the study by Lubitz and Prihoda. Piro and Lutins (1973, 28) found that hospital insurance reimbursements per user of hospital services amounted to $1,043.40 for decedents and to $685.47 for survivors, or a ratio of 1.5. The corresponding figures from Helbing's study (1983, Table 2) are $4,632 and $2,713, respectively, or a ratio of 1.7. Thus, there has been only a minor change in the relative intensity of hospital care of decedents compared to survivors.

Expressed in terms of expenditures per enrollee instead of per user of services, the data show much the same minor differences. The ratios of hospital insurance reimbursements per decedent and per survivor are 5.8 for 1967, 6.0 for 1979 (Lubitz and Prihoda 1984, 128). (The ratios for all services are equally close—4.9 and 5.1, respectively, and for physician services they are 3.0 and 2.8, respectively, i.e., somewhat lower in 1979 than in 1967.)

This does not mean, of course, that there has been no increase in the intensity of hospital care over this period. But it appears that the increase in resources used in the hospital has been proportionately the same for patients who die and those who survive.

Conclusion
To sum up, three principal conclusions can be drawn from the various studies of expenditures at the end of life:

1. Medical care costs at the end of life are indeed high. Even expenditure data which exclude many expenses—such as the Medicare data which exclude the costs of nursing home care and outpatient drugs—show that medical care in the last year or months of life costs a great deal.
  2. The high cost of medical care at the end of life is not a recent development, something which only happened in the course of the last few years. Data for 1967 show much the same relationship between expenditures for sick people who died and expenditures for those who survived. In fact, even before the advent of Medicare, a 1961 study showed that hospital and other institutional expenses of sick adults who died were almost three times those of sick adults who did not die. The reason why the data on costs at the end of life raise so much concern at present while they went virtually unnoticed 15 or 20 years ago is probably that we are much more concerned about the costs of medical care in general now that they account for over 10 percent of the gross national product than in the days when they were about 6 percent.
  3. Finally, and most important, the data available at present—and they are admittedly meager—do not support the frequently voiced or at least implied assumption that the high medical expenses at the end of life are due largely to aggressive, intensive treatment of patients who are moribund. For one thing, the data show that the number of decedents with very high medical expenses which suggest the use of expensive, high-technology interventions is quite small. For another, we do not know how many of the patients who died were clearly terminal patients. As cited above, of the 49,000 Medicare beneficiaries with Medicare reimbursements of $20,000 or more in 1978, slightly less than one-half (24,000) died; the rest survived. Given the uncertainty of medical prognosis, it is not at all clear that resources were “wasted” in treating those who died. What the data suggest, although they do not prove it, is that today, as in previous periods, most sick people who die are given the kind of medical care generally given the sick—and such care is expensive, especially for patients who are sicker than the average. Thus, the data from the studies conducted to date do not provide a basis for a policy of singling out one group of patients for cost-containment strategies.
This is not to deny the need for a variety of measures which might provide not only less costly care but also more appropriate and humane care at the end of life. Offering terminally ill patients hospice care as an alternative to conventional care is one example of care which is more suitable to the needs of such patients and may be less costly. Developing better criteria for more accurate and reliable medical prognosis is another example of an urgent need. It has also been suggested that much more attention has to be given to the special medical problems and needs of the aged which differ in important respects from those of younger people. An excellent discussion of this subject is presented by Leaf (1977, 888):

Quote:In our acute-care hospitals, where the elderly are brought frequently with advanced disease, they are too often subjected indiscriminately to the same management that might offer hope of benefiting a younger person with less extensive disease. When such procedures are applied to the fragile or debilitated elderly the morbidity, or even the mortality, may be high.

Among his recommendations are greater emphasis on the teaching of geriatric medicine in medical schools; more clinical trials and evaluations of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as applied to the elderly; ethics committees in medical centers to help physicians, patients, and their families with difficult treatment decisions; additional care arrangements which offer more alternatives than the present choice between the acute-care hospital and no care; and last but not least, education of both the public and the medical profession “to create more realistic expectations regarding what medicine today has to offer the elderly.”

While all of these measures would result in more appropriate care of elderly patients, the extent to which they would reduce medical-care costs at the end of life is not clear. Hospice care for terminal cancer patients has not yet been proved conclusively to be less costly in all cases than conventional care. Similarly, home care may be more expensive than institutional care in cases where there are no family members available to help in the care of the patient. On balance, the various measures proposed by Leaf would probably result in some cost-saving, especially if both the medical profession and the public can learn to have more realistic expectations of what modern medicine can do. But this is true not just for the elderly but for persons of all ages. Real progress in cost-containment will only be achieved when efforts are directed at the overall cost of medical care. This will also avoid the very real danger of policies being formulated which would relegate very sick patients, and especially very sick elderly patients, to a “terminal” group before their time to die has come.

It is beyond the scope of this article to examine the ethical implications of the conclusions reached here. But it must at least be mentioned that if further studies bear out the tentative conclusion that the high medical-care costs at the end of life are due not so much to intensive treatment of clearly terminal patients but to ordinary medical care of very sick patients, this raises very much more complex and difficult ethical issues than have been discussed in the literature to date. The discussion of the ethical issues surrounding medical care of the dying has concentrated on criteria for determining appropriate forms of care for terminal patients, i.e., patients who are judged by competent physicians to be beyond the hope of cure and to be on an irreversible course toward imminent death (see, for example, President's Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research 1983Jonsen, Siegler, and Winslade 1982Bayer et al. 1983; and Wanzer et al. 1984). A consensus has gradually developed about the ethics of forgoing treatment for such patients for whom care is, in some real way, futile. But no such consensus exists for patients who, although very sick, might still be helped by various diagnostic or therapeutic procedures and whose days might be prolonged. Thus, if we ask whether the costs of care for this group are excessive, we face new ethical problems of major proportions.2

Acknowledgments
The author wishes to thank James Lubitz for prepublication access to the Health Care Financing Administration data on costs of Medicare beneficiaries in the last year of life, Steven Sieverts, Frank Sandifer, and two anonymous reviewers for their very helpful comments and suggestions.

Endnotes
1I wish to thank Mr. Steven Sieverts for having suggested this point.
2I wish to thank Dr. Albert R. Jonsen for having discussed these issues with me.

References

1. Bayer R, Callahan D, Fletcher J, Hodgson T, Jennings B, Monsees D, Sieverts S, Veatch R. The Care of the Terminally Ill: Morality and Economics. New England Journal of Medicine. 1983;309:1490–94. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  2. Cancer Care. The Impact, Costs and Consequences of Catastrophic Illness on Patients and Families. New York: National Cancer Foundation; 1973. [Google Scholar]
  3. Civetta JM. The Inverse Relationship between Cost and Survival. Journal of Surgical Research. 1973;14:265–69. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  4. Cullen DJ, Ferrara LC, Briggs BA, Walker PF, Gilbert J. Survival, Hospitalization Charges and Follow-Up Results in Critically Ill Patients. New England Journal of Medicine. 1976;294:982–87. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  5. Detsky AS, Stricker SC, Mulley AG, Thibault GE. Prognosis, Survival, and the Expenditure of Hospital Resources for Patients in an Intensive Care Unit. New England Journal of Medicine. 1981;305:667–72. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  6. Fisher CR. Differences by Age Groups in Health Care Spending. Health Care Financing Review. 1980;1:65–90. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  7. Gibbs J, Newman J. Washington: Research and Development Department, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association; 1982. Study of Health Services Used and Costs Incurred during the Last Six Months of a Terminal Illness. Prepared under contract with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HEW-100-79-0110) [Google Scholar]
  8. Ginzberg E. The High Cost of Dying. Inquiry. 1980;17:293–95. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  9. Helbing C. Health Care Financing Notes. Washington: Office of Research and Demonstrations, Health Care Financing Administration; 1983. Medicare: Use and Reimbursement for Aged Persons by Survival Status, 1979. November. [Google Scholar]
  10. Jonsen RJ, Siegler M, Winslade WJ. Clinical Ethics. New York: Macmillan; 1982. [Google Scholar]
  11. Leaf A. Medicine and the Aged. New England Journal of Medicine. 1977;297:887–90. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  12. Lubitz J, Prihoda R. The Use and Costs of Medicare Services in the Last Two Years of Life. Health Care Financing Review. 1984;5:117–31. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  13. McCall N. Utilization and Costs of Medicare Services by Beneficiaries in Their Last Year of Life. Medical Care. 1984;22:329–42. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  14. Mushkin SJ. Terminal Illness and Incentives for Health Care. In: Mushkin SJ, editor. Consumer Incentives for Health Care. New York: N. Watson; 1974. pp. 183–216. [Google Scholar]
  15. Piro PA, Lutins T. Washington: Department of Health, Education, and Welfare pub. no. SSA-74-11702; 1973. Utilization and Reimbursement under Medicare for Persons Who Died in 1967 and 1968. Health Insurance Statistics, October 17. [Google Scholar]
  16. President's Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Deciding to Forego Life-Sustaining Treatment: A Report on the Ethical, Medical, and Legal Issues in Treatment Decisions. Washington: 1983. [Google Scholar]
  17. Schroeder SA, Showstack JA, Roberts HE. Frequency and Clinical Description of High-Cost Patients in 17 Acute-Care Hospitals. New England Journal of Medicine. 1979;300:1306–9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  18. Schroeder SA, Showstack JA, Schwartz J. Survival of Adult High-Cost Patients. JAMA. 1981;245:1446–49. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  19. Scotto J, Chiazze L. Third National Cancer Survey: Hospitalization and Payments to Hospitals. Part A: Summary. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health; 1976. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare pub. no. NIH-76-1094, Md. [Google Scholar]
  20. Sutton GF. Vital and Health Statistics. Hyattsville, Md.: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare; 1965. Hospitalization in the Last Year of Life, United States—1961. series 22, no. 1, September. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  21. Thibault GE, Mulley AG, Barnett GO, et al. Medical Intensive Care: Indications, Interventions, and Outcomes. New England Journal of Medicine. 1980;302:938–42. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  22. Timmer EJ, Kovar MG. Vital and Health Statistics. Hyattsville, Md.: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare; 1971. Expenses for Hospital and Institutional Care during the Last Year of Life for Adults Who Died in 1964 or 1965. series 22, no. 11, March. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  23. Turnbull AD, Carlon G, Baron R, Sichel W, Young C, Howland W. The Inverse Relationship between Cost and Survival in the Critically Ill Cancer Patient. Critical Care Medicine. 1979;7:20–23. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
  24. Wanzer SH, Adelstein SJ, Cranford RE, Federman DD, Hook EH, Moertel CG, Safar P, Stone A, Taussig HB, van Eys J. The Physician's Responsibility toward Hopelessly Ill Patients. New England Journal of Medicine. 1984;310:955–59. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
The Senior’s Guide to Staying Healthy Year-Round

https://www.healthline.com/health/flu/se...ng-healthy

[Image: senior_tying_shoes_bench_outside-1296x72...155&h=1528]

No matter your age, it’s important to take care of your body and prevent illness.

But if you’re 65 or older, something as simple as the flu or a common cold can progress and lead to complications. This includes secondary infections like pneumonia, bronchitis, an ear infection, or a sinus infection. If you have a chronic condition such as asthma or diabetes, a respiratory illness can make these worse.

Because of this, it’s important to make healthy choices to strengthen your immune system and reduce the likelihood of illness.

Follow these nine tips to stay healthy year-round.

1. Get active

Physical activity is an immune system booster. The more you move, the more your body is able to fight inflammation and infections.

The activity you partake in doesn’t have to be strenuous. Low impact exercises are effective, too.

You might consider biking, walking, swimming, or low impact aerobics. If you’re able to, engage in moderate intensity exercise for about 20 to 30 minutes a day to reach the recommended total of 150 minutes a weekTrusted Source. Also, strengthen your muscles by lifting weights or doing yoga.

Modify your exercise routine to find what feels best for you.

2. Take supplements as necessary

Some supplements help support a healthy immune system. Before taking a supplement, always ask your doctor if it’s safe, especially if you’re taking a prescription medication. Some supplements they may recommend include calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, or vitamin B12.

Take supplements or multivitamins as instructed to boost your immune system.

3. Eat a healthy diet

Diets rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean meats also give your immune system a boost and protect against harmful viruses and bacteria that cause illnesses. Fruits and vegetables are a good source of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your cells from damage and keep your body healthy.

You should also limit your consumption of sugary and fatty foods, which can trigger inflammation in the body and lower your immune system.

In addition, limit your intake of alcohol. Ask your doctor about safe amounts of alcohol to drink per day or week.

4. Wash your hands frequently

Washing your hands on a regular basis is another excellent way to stay healthy year-round. Viruses can live on surfaces for up to 24 hours. It’s possible to become ill if you touch a virus-covered surface and contaminate your hands, and then touch your face.

Wash your hands with warm soapy water often, and for at least 20 seconds. Avoid touching your nose, face, and mouth with your hands.

You can also protect yourself by using antibacterial hand sanitizer when you’re unable to wash your hands. Also, disinfect surfaces around your home and workstation frequently.

5. Learn how to manage stress

Chronic stress increases your body’s production of the stress hormone cortisol. Too much cortisol can disrupt different functions in your body, including your immune system.

To reduce stress, increase physical activity, get plenty of sleep, set reasonable expectations for yourself, and explore relaxing, enjoyable activities.

6. Get plenty of rest

Not only can sleep reduce your stress level, but sleep is how your body repairs itself. For this reason, getting an adequate amount of sleep can result in a stronger immune system, making it easier for your body to fight off viruses.
Sleep is also important as you get older because it can improve memory and concentration. Aim for at least seven and a half to nine hours of sleep per night.
If you have trouble sleeping, talk to your doctor to find the underlying cause.

Causes of insomnia can include inactivity during the day and too much caffeine. Or it can be a sign of a medical condition like sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome.

7. Take steps to prevent infections

Getting annual vaccinations is another way to stay healthy throughout the year. If you’re age 65 and older, talk to your doctor about getting a high-dose or adjuvant flu vaccine.

Flu season is between October and May in the United States. It takes about two weeks for the vaccine to be effective, and it reduces the risk of the flu by 40 to 60 percentTrusted Source when the vaccine strains match the circulating strains.
The flu virus changes each year, so you should get the vaccine yearly. You can also talk to your doctor about getting pneumococcal vaccines to protect against pneumonia and meningitis.

8. Schedule annual physicals

Scheduling a yearly checkup can also keep you healthy. Always speak with your doctor if you have concerns about your health.

Conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure can go undetected. Regular physical examinations will enable your doctor to diagnose any problems early. Getting early treatment may prevent long-term complications.

Also, if you have any cold or flu symptoms, see your doctor immediately. The flu virus can lead to complications in adults over the age of 65. The immune system weakens with age, making it harder to fight off the virus.

If you see a doctor within the first 48 hours of flu symptoms, they can prescribe an antiviral to reduce the severity and length of symptoms.

9. Avoid contact with people who are sick

Another way to protect yourself year-round is to avoid being close to people who are sick. This is easier said than done. But if there’s a flu outbreak in your area, limit contact with people who aren’t feeling well and avoid crowded areas until conditions improve.

If you must go out, protect yourself by wearing a face mask. If you’re caring for someone with the flu, wear a face mask and gloves, and wash your hands frequently.

The takeaway

The flu and other viruses can be dangerous as you become older. You can’t prevent all illnesses, but taking a proactive approach can strengthen your immune system.

A strong immune system can keep you healthier and make you less susceptible to illnesses throughout the year.

-----------------------------------------------

Last medically reviewed on September 11, 2018
 10 sources

Healthline has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.

1. Dietary supplements. (2017).
    nia.nih.gov/health/dietary-supplements

2. Family health team. (2016). How to keep your body’s defenses strong after 65.
    health.clevelandclinic.org/5-tips-make-immune-system-stronger-age/

3. How long do bacteria and viruses live outside the body? (2018).
    nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

4. How much physical activity do older adults need? (2015).
    cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/older_adults/index.htm

5. People 65 years and older & influenza. (2018).
    cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/65over.htm

6. Romeo J, et al. (2010). Physical activity, immunity and infection. DOI: 10.1017/S0029665110001795
  7. Smith M, et al. (2018). Sleep tips for older adults.
    helpguide.org/articles/sleep/how-to-sleep-well-as-you-age.htm

8. The flu season. (2018).
    cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season.htm

9. Vaccine effectiveness: How well does the flu vaccine work? (2018).
    cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

10. When someone at home has the flu. (2015).
    health.ny.gov/publications/7114.pdf

Scientific Secrets to Healthy Aging

By Teresa Dumain
 Reviewed by Jennifer Robinson, MD on June 09, 2020

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/heal...ing-secret

[Image: 650x350_secrets_to_healthy_aging_ref_gui...quality=50]IN THIS ARTICLE
The second half of your life can bring some of your most rewarding decades. You may be more confident than your younger self. You gain wisdom and patience. Sure, your hair sprouts more grays and your face sports more lines. But you can grow older with your body and mind as healthy as they can possibly be.
Here are science-backed secrets to do just that.

Take Stock

Staying on top of your health is much more than getting care when you don’t feel good. See your doctor for regular checkups. (And don’t forget about your dentist and eye doctor.)
These visits can help find problems early or even before they start. The tests you need depend on things like your age, gender, family history, and whether you smoke or exercise.

Your doctor may want to check for these things, among others:

Eat Whole Foods
It’s more a way of eating than a formal diet. You load up on veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and low-fat dairy. You eat less fatty meats, butter, sugar, salt, and packaged foods.

Many studies have found that this diet can help you live longer and protects against heart diseasecancer, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers believe one way it works is by physically changing parts of your chromosomes linked to age-related diseases.

Walk
Aim for 30 minutes every day. If that’s too much, break it up into shorter strolls. Regular exercise -- especially if you do it briskly enough to feel a little breathless -- delivers huge health benefits. It helps keep brain cells healthy by delivering more blood and oxygen. In fact, research suggests aerobic exercise may delay or improve symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.

It also helps:
  • Control your weight
  • Boost your mood
  • Keep bones and muscles strong
  • Helps you sleep better
  • Makes you less likely to get heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol

Stay Connected
Loneliness is harmful to your health. If you feel lonely -- whether you live alone or with someone, have lots of friends or none -- you are more likely to get dementia or depression. Seniors who report feeling left out and isolated have more trouble with everyday tasks like bathing and climbing stairs. They also die earlier than less lonely folks do. Researchers found that lonely people have higher levels of stress hormones that cause inflammation, or swelling, linked to arthritis and diabetes. Another study found more antibodies to certain herpes viruses in lonely people, a sign of stress in their immune system. So stay connected or make new friends. Do volunteer work or simply help someone in need. Just connect.

Add Fiber
It’s an easy way to eat your way to better health with every meal and snack. Swap out your white bread for whole grain. Add kidney beans to your soup or apple slices to your salad. Fiber fills you up and for longer. It cuts your cholesterol levels and lowers your chance of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and colon cancer.

It also helps you avoid constipation, which is more common in older adults. After age 50, men should aim for 30 grams of fiber a day and women should get 21 grams a day.

Curb Bad Habits
Tobacco kills. It harms almost every organ in your body. Cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and other products with nicotine cause heart disease, cancer, lung and gum disease, and many other health problems. It’s never too late to quit. Your body begins to heal within 20 minutes of your last cigarette. Your chance of a heart attack goes down right away. In a year, your odds of heart disease drop by half. You’ll also live longer. Ask your doctor for help.

Too much alcohol can harm your liver and cause some kinds of cancer. Men shouldn’t have more than two drinks a day; women should have no more than one. If you drink more than that, talk to your doctor about cutting back.

Try Tai Chi
This gentle Chinese exercise combines slow movements and deep breathing. It’s like meditating while you move.

Tai chi may help older people avoid falls, a top cause of injury among seniors. It also can:
  • Ease stress
  • Improve balance
  • Strengthen muscles
  • Increase flexibility
  • Lessen arthritis pain

Select Supplements
It’s often better to get your nutrients from food, not a pill. And you usually don’t need special supplements aimed at seniors.

After age 50, your body does need more of some vitamins and minerals from foods or supplements than before. They include:
  • Calcium (to keep bones strong)
  • Vitamin D (Most people get it from sunlight, but some seniors may not get out enough.)
  • Vitamin B12 (Older people have trouble absorbing it from foods, so you may need fortified cereals or a supplement.)
  • Vitamin B6 (It keeps your red blood cells strong to carry oxygen throughout your body.)

Tell your doctor about any supplements you take so you can avoid bad interactions with any medications or treatments.

Stay Optimistic
Life tests us in many ways. Loved ones die, layoffs happen, and health problems can mount. But positive thinking can be a powerful ally. When you choose to be optimistic and grateful, your mind and body respond in kind.

People with a rosier outlook live longer and have fewer heart attacks and depression than more negative people. One study found that thinking positively about getting older can extend lifespan by 7.5 years. And that’s after accounting for things such as gender, wealth, and overall health.

A rosy outlook may help you exercise more and eat better. And that in turn helps you stay hopeful and happy because you feel better. You may hear that called a “virtuous circle.”

If you see the glass half full, it could play an even bigger role in living better and longer than things such as low blood pressure and cholesterol, which have each been shown to increase life span by about 4 years.

You can learn to be optimistic. It just takes time and practice. Things you can do include:
  • Smile, even fake smile. It can help lower stress.
  • Reframe. Spin your thoughts to the good things instead of dwelling on the bad.
  • Keep a gratitude journal.
  • Do good things for others.
  • Surround yourself with people who boost your spirits.
  • Accept things you can’t change.

Stick to Sleep
Insomnia is common in older adults. It’s when you have a harder time falling and staying asleep. It helps to wake and sleep on schedule every day. That can help keep your body clock in sync so you get the sleep you need.

Also try and:
  • Keep your bedroom dark. Turn off your TV, cell phone, and laptop.
  • Avoid caffeine or alcohol in the evening.
  • Don’t nap longer than 20 minutes during the day.
  • Ask your doctor if any of your meds might be keeping you awake.

Challenge Your Mind
Things like crossword puzzles, Sudoku, chess, or reading are all good for your brain. Keep learning and trying new things to boost your brainpower. It may help lower your chances of Alzheimer’s disease.
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
By Mayo Clinic Staff

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...olleyball.
[Image: ds00555_ds00662_im02520_mcdc7_acl_injurythu_jpg.jpg]

An ACL injury is a tear or sprain of the anterior cruciate (KROO-she-ate) ligament (ACL) — one of the strong bands of tissue that help connect your thigh bone (femur) to your shinbone (tibia). ACL injuries most commonly occur during sports that involve sudden stops or changes in direction, jumping and landing — such as soccer, basketball, football and downhill skiing.

Many people hear a pop or feel a "popping" sensation in the knee when an ACL injury occurs. Your knee may swell, feel unstable and become too painful to bear weight.
Depending on the severity of your ACL injury, treatment may include rest and rehabilitation exercises to help you regain strength and stability, or surgery to replace the torn ligament followed by rehabilitation. A proper training program may help reduce the risk of an ACL injury.

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of an ACL injury usually include:

• A loud pop or a "popping" sensation in the knee
  • Severe pain and inability to continue activity
  • Rapid swelling
  • Loss of range of motion
  • A feeling of instability or "giving way" with weight bearing

When to see a doctor
Seek immediate care if any injury to your knee causes signs or symptoms of an ACL injury. The knee joint is a complex structure of bones, ligaments, tendons and other tissues that work together. It's important to get a prompt and accurate diagnosis to determine the severity of the injury and get proper treatment.

Causes
Ligaments are strong bands of tissue that connect one bone to another. The ACL, one of two ligaments that cross in the middle of the knee, connects your thighbone to your shinbone and helps stabilize your knee joint.

ACL injuries often happen during sports and fitness activities that can put stress on the knee:

• Suddenly slowing down and changing direction (cutting)
  • Pivoting with your foot firmly planted
  • Landing awkwardly from a jump
  • Stopping suddenly
  • Receiving a direct blow to the knee or having a collision, such as a football tackle

When the ligament is damaged, there is usually a partial or complete tear of the tissue. A mild injury may stretch the ligament but leave it intact.

Risk factors
There are a number of factors that increase your risk of an ACL injury, including:

• Being female — possibly due to differences in anatomy, muscle strength and hormonal influences
  • Participating in certain sports, such as soccer, football, basketball, gymnastics and downhill skiing
  • Poor conditioning
  • Using faulty movement patterns, such as moving the knees inward during a squat
  • Wearing footwear that doesn't fit properly
  • Using poorly maintained sports equipment, such as ski bindings that aren't adjusted properly
  • Playing on artificial turf

Complications
People who experience an ACL injury have a higher risk of developing osteoarthritis in the knee. Arthritis may occur even if you have surgery to reconstruct the ligament.

Multiple factors likely influence the risk of arthritis, such as the severity of the original injury, the presence of related injuries in the knee joint or the level of activity after treatment.

Prevention
Proper training and exercise can help reduce the risk of ACL injury. A sports medicine physician, physical therapist, athletic trainer or other specialist in sports medicine can provide assessment, instruction and feedback that can help you reduce risks.

Programs to reduce ACL injury include:

• Exercises to strengthen the core — including the hips, pelvis and lower abdomen — with a goal of training athletes to avoid moving the knee inward during a squat
  • Exercises that strengthen leg muscles, particularly hamstring exercises, to ensure an overall balance in leg muscle strength
  • Training and exercise emphasizing proper technique and knee position when jumping and landing from jumps
  • Training to improve technique when performing pivoting and cutting movements

Training to strengthen muscles of the legs, hips and core — as well as training to improve jumping and landing techniques and to prevent inward movement of the knee — may help to reduce the higher ACL injury risk in female athletes.

Gear
Wear footwear and padding that is appropriate for your sport to help prevent injury. If you downhill ski, make sure your ski bindings are adjusted correctly by a trained professional so that your skis will release appropriately if you fall.

Wearing a knee brace doesn't appear to prevent ACL injury or reduce the risk of recurring injury after surgery.

--ooOoo--

6 Ways to Ruin Your Knees
By Shahreen Abedin

Medically Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD on September 22, 2011

https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/fea...your-knees

[Image: 1800x1200_medical_illustration_knee_pain...quality=80]

Whether you're a seasoned athlete, a weekend warrior, or totally laid-back when it comes to exercise, knowing how to protect your knees from damage can mean the difference between a fulfilling lifestyle and longterm, strained mobility.

Cruising on the track in the heat of a roller derby match, 27-year-old Rachel Piplica was not at all prepared for the realization that her knee could sideline her from competitive skating for months, possibly years.

"Suddenly, I heard a pop and it felt like my knee bent sideways. The pain was so bad I just fell and crawled away," Piplica tells WebMD.

The Los Angeles fashion designer who skates under the name Iron Maiven tried to keep going. "I took one more stride and my knee just let go again. The doctor immediately said, 'I think you tore your ACL.'"

Piplica had experienced some warning signs during her previous season of skating as captain of her team, but she ignored them for the most part. "I had tremendous pain in my leg anytime I'd squat down so I just kept my right leg straight. But I never saw a doctor for it. I just assumed, 'I'm in a contact sport and this is what happens,'” she tells WebMD.

Knee deep: A complex and vulnerable joint

Her torn ACL diagnosis confirmed, Piplica quickly learned how susceptible the knees can be to injury. According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, these joints are responsible for sending nearly 15 million Americans to the doctor every year.[/color]

And it's not just athletes who suffer. Knee problems can happen to anyone.

"Because they're the main hinge between the ground and the rest of your body, the knees serve as your 'wheels' that get you around and allow you to be active,” says University of Pennsylvania orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist Nicholas DiNubile, MD. "Life can really go downhill when you damage your knees,” says DiNubile, who is a spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and author of FrameWork - Your 7-Step Program for Healthy Muscles, Bones and Joints.

Bound by an intricate system of ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and muscle, the knee is highly prone to injury. It's a complex hinge where the femur (thigh bone), tibia (shin bone), fibula (next to tibia) and kneecap all come together.

"It's hard to find the right balance between mobility and stability; the knee needs to move back and forth, twist a little, and pivot too,” DiNubile says. The knee's ligaments can tear, its tendons can swell up, osteoarthritis can take hold, and even everyday wear and tear can ruin a perfectly good set of knees.

Here are six pitfalls you can avoid to save your knees.

1. Ignoring knee pain.

An occasional ache here and there is common. "But knowing when you can and can't ignore pain is key,” says sports medicine specialist Jordan Metzl, MD, from the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.[/color]

Metzl's rule of thumb: When the pain limits your ability to do what you normally do, you need to have it checked out.

"If your body is sending you signals, you need to listen to them. If they persist, you need to have it checked out,” he tells WebMD.

For Piplica, exploratory surgery revealed a torn meniscus she had endured in the past -- unbeknownst to her -- followed by the more recent ACL tear. (ACL:  anterior cruciate ligament)

"In hindsight, maybe that first injury could have been repaired earlier, although I don't know if I could have avoided this one altogether,” she says. "At least I would have been more careful."

2. Being overweight.

Every pound of body weight yields five pounds of force on the knee, so even 10 extra pounds can put a considerable load on those joints.[/color]

Being overweight also increases your chances of osteoarthritis in the knee, a common and often disabling form of arthritis that wears away the knee's cushiony cartilage. Excess pounds also cause existing arthritis to worsen more rapidly. According to the CDC, two out of three obese adults suffer from knee osteoarthritis at some time in their life.

Although diet and exercise are critical for weight loss, it's a double-edged sword.
"If your knees hurt, it's harder to lose weight through exercise,” says Metzl. So he recommends activities that go easy on the knee.

For example, opt for a stationary bike over running on the treadmill, and walk on a flat surface instead of hilly turf. If you're a die-hard treadmill fan, then go for longer sessions of walking punched with brief intervals of brisk walking or running every three to five minutes, DiNubile says.

3. Not following through with rehab and rest.

The rest and rehabilitation period after a knee injury is critical to avoiding future pain or reinjury. Depending on the type of damage and treatment, recovery could last anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months.

"During the rehab period, you need someone to help you tell the difference between something that just hurts, and something that's going to do you harm,” says DiNubile.
He tells WebMD that many of his young athlete patients are too eager to return to regular play as soon as they stop limping. He advises patients to work with an orthopedic surgeon, a sports medicine physician, a physical therapist, an athletic trainer, or some combination of these pros, in order to ensure proper focus is placed on gradually strengthening the knees.

4. Neglecting your ACL.

One of the most commonly injured ligaments in the knee, the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is responsible for about 150,000 injuries in the U.S. every year.

As Piplica learned firsthand, sports like roller derby that involve quick cuts, twists, and jumping, put the ACL at higher risk for rupturing. More traditional high-risk sports include soccer, basketball, football, and volleyball.

Women in particular have a two- to eight-times higher risk for ACL tears compared to men, mainly because the way women naturally jump, land, and turn puts greater strain on the ACL.

However, male and female athletes alike can be trained to "rewire” themselves and thus lower risks of knee injury. That's done through neuromuscular training, which involves supervised practice in improving agility, leg strength, and jump-landing techniques for better knee joint stability.

These specialized techniques are effective in reducing risks of knee injury by almost one-half, according to a 2010 review of seven neuromuscular training studies.

"Given what we know in how useful it can be in reducing ACL tears, it's irresponsible of coaches and parents to not require athletes to undergo neuromuscular training,” says DiNubile.

He recommends that athletes of any age who play ACL risk-prone sports should seek help from an athletic trainer or other trained professional to help avoid this debilitating injury.

5. Overdoing it.

"You make gains in fitness when you work hard and then allow your body to recover. You can't do a hard workout every day," Metzl says.

A sudden increase in intensity or duration of exercise can cause overuse injuries from repetitive strain. Tendonitis and kneecap pain are common symptoms in the knee.[/color]

Pushing too hard is also related to overtraining syndrome, a physiological and psychological condition among athletes in which they exceed their ability to perform and recover from physical exertion, often leading to injury or lowered performance.

Be sure to include stretching exercises before and after working out. And follow hard training days with easy ones so your body can recover.

6. Overlooking other muscles around the knees.

Weak muscles and lack of flexibility are primary causes of knee injuries, according to the Mayo Clinic. When the muscles around the kneecap, hip, and pelvis are strong, it keeps the knee stable and balanced, providing support by absorbing some of the stress exerted on the joint.

DiNubile stresses the importance of building the quadriceps and hamstring muscles, as well as proper strengthening of the body's core muscles, including the obliques, lower back muscles, and upper thigh.[/color]

His favorite tool to help accomplish this strengthening is a Swiss medicine ball. Other exercises to try are knee extensions, hamstring curls, leg presses, and flexibility exercises.
Piplica recalls realizing just how weak some of her leg muscles were.

"Roller girls are striding out so much with their outer leg muscles, but we aren't necessarily working our inner knees," she says. "I remember when I would run for exercise, my calves and shins would hurt so bad. That surprised me, because I thought if anything was strong, it was my legs.”

Piplica says she wishes she had been better educated about crosstraining activities for roller skaters, and what muscle groups they need to focus on to keep their knees healthy.
As she awaits surgery to repair her torn ACL, Piplica tells WebMD that her perspective on long-term care for her knees has definitely changed.

"Half of me is frustrated about not being able to skate sooner, but the other half knows how important it is to get better so I don't do this again. I'm 27 years old with a serious knee injury preventing me from moving around. So I need to look beyond just skating, skating, skating. I don't want to have knee problems when I'm 40 or 50 because I'm not giving my body the kind of attention it needs right now."

© 2010 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
 Show Sources
Nɦįп пɦụᴄ пɦà ᴄɦồпց sυốτ 10 пăм, τôı ᵭã ᴄó пցày ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ ᴄᴜ̛ờı ƙɦẩy ʋào мặτ ɦọ

https://todayvirallnews.com/n%C9%A6i%D0%...Vmuf8DT-fU

[Image: nna179-1568x1045.png]

Tôı lấy ᴄɦồпց пăм 19 τυổı, ƙếτ ɦôп ʋớı мốı τìпɦ ᵭầυ ᴄủα мìпɦ. Cɦúпց τôı мớı ᴄɦỉ yêυ пɦαυ ᴄɦᴜ̛α ᵭầy 1 пăм пɦᴜ̛пց ʋì τôı lỡ ᴄó Ƅầυ ʋà 2 ցıα ᵭìпɦ τɦì qυeп Ƅıếτ ᵭã lâυ пêп qυyếτ ᵭįпɦ làм ᵭáм ᴄᴜ̛ớı lυôп. Năм τɦᴜ̛́ 2 τôı ở пɦà ᴄɦồпց τɦì ᴄả пɦà ᴄɦυyểп lêп τɦàпɦ pɦố sốпց. Nɦà τôı ᴄó Ƅố мẹ ᴄɦồпց, αпɦ τɾαı ᴄɦồпց, eм τɾαı ᴄɦồпց ʋà ʋợ ᴄɦồпց τôı ᴄùпց пɦαυ sốпց τɾoпց ᴄăп τập τɦể 3 Ƅυồпց ở ɾìα пցoạı τɦàпɦ. Ở ᴄɦậτ ᴄɦộı là ʋậy пɦᴜ̛пց ʋì ᴜ̛ớᴄ мơ ᵭổı ᵭờı мà ᴄả пɦà ᴄɦồпց ƙıêп qυyếτ ƙɦôпց ʋề qυê. Nɦà ᴄɦỉ ᴄó αпɦ τɾαı ᴄɦồпց ᵭã ᵭı làм ᴄòп ᴄả ᴄɦồпց τôı ʋà eм τɾαı ᴄɦồпց ᵭềυ ʋẫп ᵭαпց ᵭı ɦọᴄ. Bố мẹ ᴄɦồпց τôı τυyêп Ƅố ᴄɦỉ пυôı eм τɾαı ᴄɦồпց ᴄòп ʋợ ᴄɦồпց τôı pɦảı τᴜ̛̣ τìм ƙế мà sıпɦ пɦαı.

Tôı ᴄɦỉ ɦọᴄ ɦếτ ᴄấp 3 пêп ᵭàпɦ τìм ʋıệᴄ ở мấy ɦàпց ăп ƙıếм τıềп пυôı ᴄɦồпց ăп ɦọᴄ, пυôı ᴄoп ƙɦôп lớп. Lᴜ̛ơпց ở ɦàпց ăп ᴄɦẳпց ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ Ƅαo пɦıêυ, τôı lạı pɦảı ᵭı làм τɦêм ở 1 ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց qυầп áo. Nցày пào τôı ᴄũпց ɾòпց ɾã làм lụпց τᴜ̛̀ 7 ցıờ sáпց ᵭếп 9 ցıờ τốı мớı ʋề ᵭếп пɦà. Ấy τɦế мà ở пɦà мẹ ᴄɦồпց τôı ᴄũпց ƙɦôпց ᴄɦăм ᴄoп τôı ᴄɦo τốτ, lúᴄ пào ᴄũпց ᵭể пó lăп lóᴄ ɦôм ᵭóı ɦôм пo.

[Image: nna179-1024x682.png][color=var(--global--color-primary)]Ảпɦ мıпɦ ɦọα.[/color]

Hầυ ɦạ, pɦụᴄ dįᴄɦ ᴄả 1 ցıα ᵭìпɦ lớп, τôı ᴄɦẳпց ƙêυ ᴄα пᴜ̛̉α lờı пɦᴜ̛пց мẹ ᴄɦồпց τôı τɦì lıêп τụᴄ τɾáᴄɦ мóᴄ, ỉ ôı. Tôı ᵭı làм ʋề мυộп, Ƅáτ ᵭĩα ᴄɦᴜ̛α ɾᴜ̛̉α, qυầп áo ᴄɦᴜ̛α ցıặτ, τôı pɦảı làм ɦếτ, мẹ ᴄɦồпց ᴄɦỉ pɦảı пấυ ᴄơм τɦôı, ʋậy мà ƙɦôпց мấy ɦôм τôı ƙɦôпց pɦảı пցɦe Ƅà пɦıếᴄ мóᴄ là ᴄó ᴄoп dâυ ᴄũпց пɦᴜ̛ ƙɦôпց. Cɦồпց τôı ɦαм ᴄɦơı, τíпɦ lᴜ̛ờı Ƅıếпց, ᴄɦẳпց ᵭỡ ᵭầп ʋợ ᴄɦỉ ɦùα τɦeo мẹ là пɦαпɦ. Aпɦ τɾαı ʋớı eм τɾαı ᴄɦồпց τɦì ᴄoı τôı пɦᴜ̛ ᴄoп ở τɾoпց пɦà, τɦυậп мıệпց là sαı ʋặτ. Có lầп ᴄãı lạı мẹ ᴄɦồпց, τôı Ƅį ᴄɦồпց τáτ пổ ᵭoм ᵭóм мắτ. Đúпց lúᴄ ấy ᴄoп ƙɦóᴄ, τôı ᴄɦạy ʋào dỗ ᴄoп мà пᴜ̛ớᴄ мắτ ᴄũпց ɾơı lã ᴄɦã. 

Cɦồпց τôı ɦọᴄ xoпց ᵭạı ɦọᴄ τɦì τɦấτ пցɦıệp, ᴄɦỉ ở пɦà ᴄɦơı ᵭıệп τᴜ̛̉, ᴄầп мυα ցì τɦì пցᴜ̛̉α ταy xıп τıềп τôı. Tôı ᴄàпց ցıụᴄ ᴄɦồпց τìм ʋıệᴄ τɦì ᴄɦồпց ᴄàпց ᴄɦây ì ɾα. Nóı ƙɦôпց lạı ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ τôı τɦì ᴄɦồпց sẵп sàпց τɦᴜ̛ợпց ᴄẳпց ᴄɦâп, ɦạ ᴄẳпց ταy. Lúᴄ ấy τɦì τôı lạı díпɦ Ƅầυ. Bụпց мαпց dạ ᴄɦᴜ̛̉α τôı ʋẫп pɦảı làм ʋıệᴄ qυầп qυậτ ɦàпց пցày. Có lầп τôı мệτ qυá, пցấτ ở ɦàпց ăп, пցᴜ̛ờı τα ᵭᴜ̛α ʋào ʋıệп. Tỉпɦ dậy, ᴄɦỉ ᴄó Ƅáᴄ ᴄɦủ qυáп ăп пցồı ᴄạпɦ τôı. Báᴄ Ƅảo ցọı ᵭıệп мãı ᴄɦo ᴄɦồпց τôı мà ƙɦôпց ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ. Tôı ƙɦóᴄ пɦᴜ̛ мᴜ̛α, Ƅáᴄ αп ủı: “Tɦôı ᴄɦáυ ạ, ᴄố ăп υốпց ʋào мà lấy sᴜ̛́ᴄ пυôı ᴄoп. Cɦồпց ᴄũпց ᴄɦỉ là пցᴜ̛ờı пցoàı, ƙɦôпց τɦᴜ̛ơпց мìпɦ ᵭâυ.”

Sαυ ᵭó 3 τɦáпց, τôı Ƅıếτ ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ sᴜ̛̣ τɦậτ, ɦóα ɾα пցày ɦôм ᵭó ցọı τɦế пào ᴄũпց ƙɦôпց ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ ᴄɦồпց τôı là ʋì αпɦ τα ᵭαпց Ƅậп ʋυı τɦú Ƅêп пցoàı ʋớı ցáı мáτ-xα. Ôпց αпɦ τɾαı ᴄɦồпց ᵭổ ᵭốп, τɦᴜ̛ờпց xυyêп qυα lạı ᴄɦốп пày пêп ɾủ τɦeo ᴄɦồпց τôı. Bıếτ ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ ᴄɦυyệп ᵭó, τìпɦ ᴄảм ᴄủα τôı ʋớı ᴄɦồпց ᴄũпց ƙɦôпց ᴄòп пᴜ̛̃α. Tôı âм τɦầм ᴄɦυẩп Ƅį 1 ƙế ɦoạᴄɦ мớı ᴄɦo ᴄυộᴄ ᵭờı мìпɦ.

Đᴜ̛́α ᴄoп τɦᴜ̛́ 2 τɾòп 1 τυổı τɦì τôı ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ Ƅáᴄ ᴄɦủ qυáп ăп пɦᴜ̛ợпց lạı ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց ʋớı ցıá ɦᴜ̛̃υ пցɦį ʋì Ƅáᴄ ᴄó τυổı ɾồı, ƙɦôпց ᴄòп мυốп ƙıпɦ doαпɦ пᴜ̛̃α. Tôı ցıấυ пɦà ᴄɦồпց, ʋề пɦà Ƅố мẹ ᵭẻ 1 Ƅυổı Ƅàп ᴄɦυyệп ʋà ʋαy τıềп Ƅố мẹ ᵭể lấy ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց ᵭó, пɦờ мẹ ᵭᴜ̛́пց τêп. Tôı τɾở τɦàпɦ “ᴄɦủ qυáп ăп” τυy пɦỏ пɦᴜ̛пց ɦôм пào ᴄũпց τấp пập ƙɦáᴄɦ ƙɦᴜ̛́α. Tôı ᴄũпց пցɦỉ ʋıệᴄ ở ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց qυầп áo ᵭể ᴄɦυyêп τâм ᴄɦo ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց ăп пày.

Sαυ мấy пăм ᵭầυ τắτ мặτ τốı, τᴜ̛̀ 1 qυáп ăп пɦỏ, τôı ᵭã pɦáτ τɾıểп τɦàпɦ ᴄᴜ̛̉α ɦàпց ăп lớп, ƙɦαпց τɾαпց, ɾộпց ɾãı. Tôı τᴜ̛̣ мυα ᴄɦo мìпɦ 1 ᴄăп ɦộ ᴄɦυпց ᴄᴜ̛ мıпı пɦỏ пɦắп пɦᴜ̛пց sạᴄɦ ᵭẹp ʋà τıệп пցɦı, ʋẫп пɦờ мẹ ɾυộτ ᵭᴜ̛́пց τêп. Nɦà ᴄɦồпց τôı ᵭᴜ̛ơпց пɦıêп ʋẫп ƙɦôпց ɦề ɦαy Ƅıếτ ցì, ᴄɦồпց τôı ʋẫп ăп Ƅáм мẹ ʋà ʋợ; ᴄòп мẹ ᴄɦồпց τôı ʋẫп ƙɦôпց τɦôı ƙɦıпɦ τɦᴜ̛ờпց τôı ɾα мặτ.

Nցày ɦoàп τɦàпɦ τɦủ τụᴄ мυα пɦà, τôı ʋυı ʋẻ мυα ցà, мυα пցαп ʋề пɦà ᴄɦồпց làм 1 Ƅᴜ̛̃α τo. Kɦı αı пấy ᵭềυ ᵭã пo sαy, τôı мớı lôı ɾα τờ ᵭơп ly ɦôп ᵭᴜ̛ợᴄ ƙý sẵп ᵭặτ τɾêп Ƅàп. Cɦồпց τôı τɾợп мắτ, qυáτ τôı:

– Cô làм ᴄáı τɾò ցì ᵭây ɦả? Cô τɦeo τɦằпց пào мà ᵭòı Ƅỏ τôı τɦế пày? Nցày пào ᴄô ᴄũпց ᵭı sớм ʋề ƙɦυyα là ᵭể ᵭı ɦú ɦí ᵭúпց ƙɦôпց?

Mẹ ᴄɦồпց τôı ᴄũпց ᴄɦêм ʋào:

– Cɦo пó ɾα τɦàпɦ pɦố sốпց ցıờ пó ᵭáпɦ ᵭĩ τɦeo τɾαı пɦᴜ̛ τɦế пày ᵭây. Tɦôı ᴄoп ơı, ցıᴜ̛̃ làм ցì loạı ʋợ пày.

– Cô là ᵭồ ʋô ơп! Để τôı xeм ᴄô sốпց τɦế пào ƙɦı ɾα ƙɦỏı ᵭây!

Tôı ᴄᴜ̛ờı ƙɦẩy τɾᴜ̛ớᴄ τɦáı ᵭộ ᴄủα мẹ ᴄoп ɦọ, пɦúп ʋαı ցấp τờ ᵭơп ly ɦôп ᴄɦồпց ʋᴜ̛̀α ƙý xoпց ᵭể ʋào τúı xáᴄɦ ɾồı ʋào pɦòпց τɦυ dọп ᵭồ ᵭạᴄ. Cɦồпց τôı пցồı пցoàı пóı ʋớı τɦeo:

– Cô ᵭᴜ̛̀пց τᴜ̛ởпց ᴄáı τɦằпց ᵭấy Ƅαo ᴄô мãı. Nó ᴄɦơı ᴄô ᴄɦáп пó sẽ ᵭá ᴄô τɦôı, ᵭếп lúᴄ ᵭấy ᵭᴜ̛̀пց ƙɦóᴄ lóᴄ мà ʋề ᴄầυ xıп τôı τɦα τɦᴜ̛́.

Vᴜ̛̀α lúᴄ ấy ᵭıệп τɦoạı ᴄủα τôı Ƅáo ᴄó τıп пɦắп. Cɦồпց τôı lαo ɾα ցıậτ пó ƙɦỏı ταy τôı: “Để xeм пó пɦắп τıп ɦú ɦí ցì ʋớı ᴄô!”. Nɦᴜ̛пց ᵭó là τıп пɦắп τᴜ̛̀ пցâп ɦàпց Ƅáo ᴄɦυyểп τıềп τɦàпɦ ᴄôпց.

[Image: nna181.png][color=var(--global--color-primary)]Ảпɦ мıпɦ ɦọα.[/color]

Cɦồпց пɦìп мàп ɦìпɦ ᵭıệп τɦoạı ᴄủα τôı мà lắp Ƅắp ƙɦôпց пêп lờı.
– Cô.. ᴄô.. τɦế пày là τɦế пào?

Tôı lıếᴄ пɦìп ᴄoп số ցầп 3 τỷ τɾoпց pɦầп số dᴜ̛, ᴄᴜ̛ờı ƙɦôпց ᵭáp, lấy lạı ᴄáı ᵭıệп τɦoạı ɾồı xáᴄɦ ʋα ly ᵭı.

Cɦồпց ցọı ᵭıệп ᴄɦo τôı ᵭếп ᴄɦáy мáy, τôı пɦắп lạı ᴄɦo ᴄɦồпց ᴄụτ lủп 1 τıп пɦắп: “Hẹп ցặp пցày ɾα τòα!” ɾồı τɦáo sıм ʋᴜ̛́τ ᵭı ᴄɦo αпɦ τα ᵭỡ làм pɦıềп. Mấy ɦôм sαυ τôı пցɦe мẹ ցọı ᵭıệп ɾα Ƅáo ᴄả пɦà ᴄɦồпց ʋề ƙéo ʋề пɦà τôı пɦờ мẹ τôı ƙɦυyêп пɦủ τôı qυαy lạı ʋớı ᴄɦồпց. Tôı ᴄàпց пցɦe ᴄàпց τɦấy ƙɦıпɦ Ƅỉ ᴄáı ցıα ᵭìпɦ мà τôı sốпց ᴄùпց пɦᴜ̛̃пց 10 пăм ᵭó.

Nցυồп: WeƄτɾeτɦo
Vui quá

https://fb.watch/cFcr9B9iz_/

Coi hoài không chán .   Clap Clap Clap
(2022-04-27, 12:14 PM)LeThanhPhong Wrote: Vui quá

https://fb.watch/cFcr9B9iz_/

Coi hoài không chán .   Clap Clap Clap

Vui thiệt, cảm ơn anh Phong đã shared cho Lan có được một nụ cười thoải mái nha. Mấy con chó hay thiệt, không biết có thật không vì Lan chưa bao giờ thấy cảnh này ở ngoài đời thật đó.  Grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes4
Bởi chúnɡ tɑ khônɡ thể thɑy đổi được thế ɡiới xunɡ quɑnh,
nên chúnɡ tɑ đành phải sửɑ đổi chính mình,
đối diện với tất cả bằnɡ lònɡ từ bi và tâm trí huệ.

Đức Phật Khả Kính, Đáng Được Thương Yêu 

Ngoài chuyện khả kính ra, Đức Phật đáng là người để mình phải thương phải yêu bằng tất cả tấm lòng.

Cách đây 4 a tăng kỳ về trước, lẽ ra nếu Ngài đổi nguyện, Ngài đừng nghĩ tới cái đám của mình bây giờ là Ngài đã đi lâu rồi. Mà Ngài nghĩ đến chúng ta hôm nay – Chúng ta đây là tôi và quý vị đang ngồi trong room này nè – chớ không phải ai hết. Chính mình nè. Ngài nghĩ đến mình, trong đó có mình, tôi bảo đảm 1.000% có mình. Các vị đi hỏi các bậc tôn túc, tôn kính coi có đúng vậy không. Ngài nghĩ đến chúng sinh đời sau. 

Cho nên lẽ ra Ngài đã chứng La Hán, Thinh Văn Ngài đi mất rồi. Nhưng Ngài nghĩ: Luân hồi là cái dòng sông. Có người dư sức lội qua sông một mình. Có người có thể đóng bè đóng tàu để mà đi. Còn có kẻ chỉ muốn mãi mãi ở lại bờ này, hạng này mình không nói tới chi. Nhưng cái hạng muốn qua sông dư sức bơi một mình và đã chọn cách bơi một mình qua bên kia bờ. Hạng thứ hai muốn qua bên kia bờ nhưng không đành lòng, không cam tâm mà đi một mình, mà phải đóng bè đóng tàu càng lớn càng tốt để chở theo người khác. Đó chính là vị Chánh Đẳng Chánh Giác.

Phật Độc Giác là muốn đi, muốn bơi một mình. 
Phật Toàn giác muốn qua sông chở theo nhiều người khác. 

Thế là vì tâm nguyện đóng tàu đó mà suốt 4 a tăng kỳ không biết bao nhiêu lần Ngài vào sinh ra tử, lên rừng xuống biển, bao nhiêu lần chết đói, đi lạc trên hoang đảo sa mạc, núi cao rừng thẳm. Bao nhiêu lần bị chết chém chết cháy chết đuối. Bao nhiêu lần bị giam, bị tù ngục. Rồi bao nhiêu lần bị đói lạnh, bịnh hoạn, đói không có cơm ăn,bịnh không có thuốc uống, lạnh không có áo quần, không có nhà cửa. Dòng luân hồi mà quý vị. Dòng luân hồi, bao nhiêu lần bị oan ức, bao nhiêu lần chết thảm trong dòng sanh tử. Máu mà Ngài đổ ra trong dòng sanh tử nhiều như sông. Thịt xương mà Ngài đổ ra hành ba la mật nhiều như rừng như biển như núi. Mà rồi thì sao? 

– Cuối cùng, thành Phật chỉ trụ thế 45 năm thôi. 

Biết được cái này thương lắm quý vị: những ngày Ngài đi độ người ta, ôm cái bát đứng trước mặt nghe người ta chửi, chửi tan nát. Chửi xong chờ người ta lắng cái cơn xuống Ngài nói một câu cho người ta đắc quả. Rồi ôm bát về bữa đó đói. 

Chuyện đó rất bình thường, bình thường lắm! 

Chưa hết, một người 80 tuổi, đêm cuối cùng sắp đi rồi, mà cũng vì lòng từ bi với một con người cũng xa lạ chưa biết mặt, mà tới đó để cho người ta thấy mặt mình, để mình độ cho họ đắc A La Hán. 

Quý vị nghĩ coi: một người 80 tuổi, thân mình không có lo mà đi lo nghĩ đến người ta như vậy! Chưa hết đâu. 

Biết là khuya nay mình đi, biết là mình ăn cái này vô sẽ bị trọng bịnh mà phải ăn. Ăn xong rồi còn dặn là cái phần dư lại đừng để ai ăn hết. Phải đem đi đổ bỏ bởi vì người khác ăn cái này vô sẽ bị bịnh. 

Rồi còn dặn dò ngài A Nan đủ điều: Mai này ta đi rồi, nếu người cúng bữa cơm đó, ông Cunda mà ổng nghe người ta nói rằng vì bữa ăn đó mà Thế Tôn lâm trọng bịnh thì hãy an ủi ổng. Nói ổng rằng trong đời Thế Tôn có hai bữa ăn công đức vô lượng: là bữa ăn của nàng Sujata trước khi Bồ tát thành Đạo và thứ hai là bữa ăn của ông thợ rèn Cunda trước khi Thế Tôn Niết bàn. Hãy nói cho ổng biết bữa ăn của ổng là một trong hai bữa ăn mà công đức không sao nghĩ bàn. 

Các vị tưởng tượng khuya nay mình đi rồi mà giờ này còn dặn dò đủ thứ chuyện mà toàn là chuyện người ta không. Một con người như vậy, một nhân cách như vậy, một tấm lòng như vậy, một trái tim như vậy! Đúng! Đức Phật là người đáng kính, nhưng Ngài còn là người để mình thương, mình yêu như yêu cha yêu mẹ.

Cho nên chuyện mình tu tập là chuyện cho mình, không mắc gì Ngài. Chuyện tu hay không tu là chuyện của mình. Nhưng phải nói đọc bài Kinh mình thấy thương chớ, xúc động chớ.

Khi bài Kinh này được thuyết giảng lúc đó Thế Tôn gần viên tịch rồi, cận kề lắm rồi, mà Ngài nhắc:

“ Các ngươi may mắn có bậc Đạo sư là vị Chánh Đẳng Chánh Giác, người được cơ hội như vậy mà không nỗ lực tu hành thì đó là điều rất đáng tiếc. Trường hợp đó là một người đệ tử đáng bị chê trách”. 

Người ta có đạo sư không ra gì thì không nói. Đằng này có một Đạo sư như là Như Lai, nếu mà dễ duôi không tinh tấn tu tập thì đó là điều đáng trách.

Ngài còn dặn kỹ một điều nữa, là cho dầu Giáo Pháp có xuất sắc đến cỡ nào đi nữa; cho dầu bậc Đạo sư có xuất sắc đến cỡ nào đi nữa, nhưng nếu các đệ tử không có người kế thừa thì sự ra đi của bậc Đạo sư sẽ để lại khoảng trống không sao lấp đầy được.

https://toaikhanh.com/videotext.php?vid=...E1%BB%8Bnh