Common Proverbs
A creaking door (gate) hangs longest .... (Sickly people often live longer than healthy ones)

- Aunt Edna always likes to make it sound as if she could die any minute, but I'm betting she'll outlive us all; a creaking door hangs longest
A door must be either shut or open ...(if you have only 2 alternatives, you must choose one or the other, you can not have both)

- Either you're going to marry that girl, or you're not. A door must be either shut or open
A drop in the bucket (the ocean)  ... (An insignificant contribution toward solving a large problem)

Sandra: We need to stop spending so much

Alan: ok. I'll buy a cheaper brand of toothpaste

Sandra: But that's just a drop in the bucket
A drowning man will clutch at straws ... (When you are desperate, you will look for anything that might help you, even if it can not help you very much)

- I think John might like me. He smiled at me when he said hello. Or am I just clutching at straws?
This is a fine kettle of fish ... (A troublesome situation)

- This is a fine kettle of fish . My husband is not here to meet me at the train station, and there is no phone here for me to call him
Feel like a fish out of water ... (Someone who does not belong in a particular situation)

- Joe started college at the age of 43, and at first he felt like a fish out of water among all the young students

:rose4:
A fool and his money are soon parted ... (Foolish people spend money easily without thinking)

- Bill sends a check to every organization that asks him for money. A fool and his money are soon parted

A fool's paradise ... (Being happy for foolish reasons)

- Fred is confident that he'll get a big raise this year, but I think he's living in a fool's paradise

A friend in need is a friend indeed ..

- Jane is a real friend in need, she will take care of the kids while I stay with Dad in the hospital

A golden key can open any door .... (Sufficient money can accomplish anything)

Jill: I'm amazed that Sally got into a good university, her grades were so poor

Jane; Well, she comes from a wealthy family, and a golden key can open any door

A good husband makes a good wife ... (If a husband wants his wife to be respectful and loving to him, he should be respectful and loving to her)

- Don't blame your wife for being short-tempered with you, you've been so unpleasant to her lately. A good husband makes a good wife

A good Jack makes a good Jill ....  (giống nghĩa ở trên)

- Eric's mother told him, "You may be partly to blame for your wife's bad temper. A good Jack makes a good Jill"

A good time was had by all ... (Everyone had a good time)

Jill: How was the party ?

Jane: A good time was had by all

A growing youth has a wolf in his belly .. (Young people who are growing fast and hungry all the time)

- Jimmy isn't being greedy, it's just that a growing youth has a wolf in his belly

A guilty conscience needs no accuser ... (If you have done something wrong and feel guilty about it, you will be uncomfortable and want to confess even if no one accuses you of wrongdoing)

Jill: Why do you suppose Roberts confessed to the crime? No one even suspected him

Jane: A guilty conscience needs no accuser