LTP Học Phật Pháp
(tiếp theo và hết - TIẾN TRÌNH NHÂN QUẢ QUA BIỂU ĐỒ THẬP NHỊ NHÂN DUYÊN CỦA NGÀI MOGOK)

Ngài đưa ra một vài thí dụ để hành giả hiểu được cái nguy hại của sự thiếu hiểu biết, chỉ sống xuôi theo chuổi phản ứng dẫn tới Luân hồi.

Có một học sinh thích xem đại nhạc hội. Vì mê xem quá nên dù ngày hôm sau có bài thi mà cũng vẫn không kềm chế được nên không ở nhà học mà lại đi xem. Nhìn thấy được những sự kiện xảy ra nơi từng cá nhân trong cuộc sống hằng ngày (Nhân), hành giả có thể đoán được tương lai của người đó sẽ như thế nào (Quả)

Lại có một người vì nghe nói nếu được tái sinh lên cõi Thiên sẽ được sung sướng, sống lâu, sắc đẹp, v.v.. nên người ấy luôn mong cầu và tìm dịp để làm thiện pháp như bố thí, cúng dường… Nhưng vì làm thiện pháp với lòng Tham thì cũng bị rơi vào Nghiệp Hữu và Luân hồi.
Ngay cả con cá (loài Thú không đủ 6 căn) cũng vậy. Khi nó thấy cái mồi trùng trông hấp dẫn trước mắt, rồi nó bị cuốn hút vào đó và chỉ biết bơi tới đớp mồi mà không biết được nguy hiểm đang xảy đến với nó. Đây cũng là chuổi phản ứng từ Xúc đến Thọ, Ái, Thủ, Hữu để dẫn đến Luân hồi.

Trong câu chuyện của người anh và em trong 1 gia đình, khi nghe việc chia gia tài lúc cha mẹ qua đời, người thì vui vì được chia nhiều, kẻ thì buồn vì bị chia ít. Thế rồi anh em sinh ra mâu thuẫn nhau, dẫn tới hành động thưa kiện nhau để được phần lợi cho mình.

Do đó hành giả Thiền Minh Sát cần phải luôn tinh tấn thực hành chánh niệm nơi 6 căn và những cảm thọ khởi lên nơi thân tâm mình. Phải có cái nhìn trung thực và khách quan để hiểu rõ bản chất thật của con người mình: Đó chỉ là cái thân tứ đại và cái tâm luôn bị lôi cuốn theo chuổi phán ứng của vòng xoáy Luân hồi. Nếu nắm vững sự hiểu biết này và không còn nghi ngờ gì cả thì xem như hành giả đã đi đúng đường tu và sẽ tiếp tục tiến xa hơn.

Nói tóm lại, để thể hiện lòng tin và sự hiểu biết này, mỗi khi ngồi thiền mà bị đau chân thì hành giả sẽ thấy rằng cái đau chỉ là cái đau, nó chỉ là phản ứng tự nhiên trên thân và sẽ không có sự dính mắc hay phản ứng với cái đau đó như đổi tư thế ngồi hoặc không muốn ngồi nữa.. Rồi hành giả sẽ thản nhiên nhìn cái đau tự nó thay đổi và biến mất, và qua đó thấy được sự vô thường trong chuổi phản ứng cũng như trong khái niệm thời gian.

Hành giả phải áp dụng sự hiểu biết về tiến trình Nhân Quả trong vòng xoáy của Lý Duyên Khởi này trong thiền tập cũng như trong mọi sinh hoạt hằng ngày để có sự kiên nhẫn, biết quan sát các cảm thọ và không để mình trôi lăn theo chuổi phản ứng của Luân hồi. Nếu hành giả thấy ra sự Sinh Và Diệt trong cái đau chân thì sẽ hiểu được sự Sinh / Diệt của Già, Bệnh, Khổ. Tâm của hành giả sẽ không bị ràng buộc bởi tham ái hay bất mãn nào cả. Hành giả sẽ được sống hạnh phúc và chết bình an.

(Hết)
MOGOK SAYADAW'S WAY
TO THE VIPASSANA PRACTICE

http://www.myanmarnet.net/nibbana/thtutmg.htm

The following dialog between the venerable Mogok Mogok Sayadaw U Vimala and U Kyaw Thein, the author of the Mogok Sayadaw:’s biography and the method is a glimpse on the practice at the Mogok Vipassana Centre. It was given on a day in September 1957 (1318 Burmese era) at the Mingalar Monastery in Amarapura, Burma.

Mogok Sayadaw: Have you come to practice meditation?
           U Kyaw Thein: Yes Sire, I have come to practice meditation.
        Mogok Sayadaw: All right, does your family give you the permission?

They gave me the permission Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Why do you come to meditate, is it that I have only asked you?

I want to be free of the suffering in Samsara, my lord.

Mogok Sayadaw: Have you developed faith (Saddha) in your mind as well?

I have the faith Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: If that’s the case you must decide in your mind that you have the rarest opportunities for being a human who is born in the Buddha’s Sasana, and to have the chance to practice Vipassana that I am going to give you. You must also develop faith in you mind that it will help you to escape from the Samsaric sufferings of old age, ailments, death, and other misfortunes and make up your mind to follow the instructions meticulously.

Yes my Lord.

Mogok Sayadaw: Maung Kyaw Thein, you must also decide not to think of your business and your family. Try to be detached from these by using wisdom.

Yes Sire, I will renounce them.

Mogok Sayadaw: You must rely on the three main principles (Adipadhi).

All right, but what are these three principles Sire?

Mogok Sayadaw: Yes, I will tell you. Firstly, you must remember that you need to rely on yourself; that you practice meditation not for your livelihood, but to release from the suffering of old age, disease, death, misfortunes and inconveniences. This is the Attadipadhi (self-reliance principle).

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Secondly, you must regard life as your next principle (Lokadipadhi). You must not pretend to meditate and think of all your life affairs. Don’t be lazy, apathetic, asleep and don’t let your mind roam. Don’t do anything that is not right for your guardian angel, good Devas and those who have Abhinna (super natural powers) know. So you must be shameful of yourself if you are not leading a good life.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: You must regard Dhamma as the third principle (Dhammadipadhi). You must pay respect to the Dhamma and try to experience insight wisdom (Vipassana nana) directly. You must know that if you were not enlightened it was not that there was no Dhamma, but it was your fault that you did not pay due respect to the Dhamma principle. You must decide to have faith in this principle and strife with all your might.

Yes Sire. If I take these as the main principles and meditate shall I be awakened in this very life, my Lord?

Mogok Sayadaw: Have you committed the Panchanandriya kamma (five cardinal sins)? Have you killed an Arahat?

No Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Have you killed your mother or your father?

No Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Have you ever caused a split among Sangha?

No I haven’t Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: All right, I won’t ask you whether you have caused any physical harm to the Buddha as it is not relevant now. If you have not committed any of these sins just try your best in the practice. It will take only seven years if a person is very dull, seven months for an average and seven days for very bright persons with the right practice. It won’t happen without practice. You must work hard with faith, mindfulness, concentration, energy, and wisdom (Saddha, Sati, Samadhi, Viriya and Panna).

Yes my Lord, I will work hard and follow your instructions.

Mogok Sayadaw: All right then. You take the eight precepts.

[ After taking the eight precepts (refrain from killing, stealing, practising celibacy, refraining from telling lies, taking intoxicants, taking solid food after mid-day, and refraining from sensual indulgences such as perfume, cosmetics, music & dancing, and handling money & financial matters) ]

Mogok Sayadaw: Now you need to do the five rituals (Pubbakissa) during meditation.

1. Devote yourself to the Buddha both, physically as well as mentally.
  2. Ask for pardon if you have done any wrong to parents and holy people either physically, verbally or with your mind.
  3. Propagate loving kindness towards all sentient beings including your guardian angel and those who watch over your property, your city and the Sarsana.
  4. Make a wish (Adithanna) for all the merits that you have gained during this life and in previous lives to result in enlightenment.
  5. Try to realise the nature of dying (Marananussati) by thinking that you have died in your uncountable past existences and that you will have to die some day. Try to realise and persuade yourself that you must work hard before death arrives and thereby develop the effort and energy to meditate. Do you understand?
            Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Do you know how to differentiate between matter (Rupa) and mind (Nama)?

I have only the theoretical knowledge, Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: All right, I’ll tell you. When you consider vision you have the eye and the object, which are Rupa and the image that developed in your mind is the Nama. Likewise, all six sense organs and their objects are Rupas and the sensations developed by their interactions are Namas (Eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body and thoughts).

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw:

1.         You must recognise and differentiate between mind and matter in the present sensation that develops. This is called Nataparinana.
  2.         You must recognise and realise the impermanence, suffering and impersonal qualities (Anissa, Dukkha and Anatta) of the present sensation. This is called Tiranaparinana.
  3.         You must realise that the present sensation is neither your body, nor your mind and try to avoid clinging (Tanha) and self conceit (Mana) and delusion or wrong view of regarding consciousness as your soul (Ditthi). This is called Pahanaparinana.
            Yes my Lord.

Mogok Sayadaw: You must differentiate between mind and matter. Then do not go after the Jhana way (for attaining super natural powers). If a Yogi wants to overcome live and death and become awakened he needs concentration of the mind just enough to develop Samadhi. Then he must practise Vipassana.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Switching over to Vipassana is just like a locomotive changing rails from one to another. The contemplation of the mind is moved from Samatha (one point) to the arising and dissolving phenomenon of the current Rupa-Nama (sensation). You must remember that this is led by the mind.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: You must do the contemplation of breathing (Anapanna) first. It is mindfulness of the incoming and outgoing breath. You must breathe in normally and fully. Do not force it or reduce it, but breathe in and out regularly.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: You can focus your mind on the lips at the tip of nostrils or at the sternum, but it is better to keep it at the tips of nostrils (to be sharper in developing concentration). Whatever site you have chosen you must try to be mindful continuously.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Anapanusatti is the mindfulness that occurs when contemplated on the incoming and outgoing breaths. A Yogi practising Anapananusatti fixes the mind strongly on the breathing while taking breaths regularly and normally. He first focuses the mind on the tip of nostrils and watches as the air goes in and out.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: Apart from this mindfulness of the touch of air he must not divert his attention to any other object.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: A Yogi who has developed concentration after practising Anapana must know that the person is not "you, I, male or female," but a collection of Rupa (matter) and Nama (mind) and a collection of the five aggregates. Then the Yogi must realise that the mind that registers this knowledge is the Nama. This Nama dwells in the heart. The physic that is in sitting meditation is the Rupa. You will come to know this reality by direct experience.

After this differentiation of Rupa and Nama you must understand that the collection of twenty-four physical objects is the Rupatkhanda. The consciousness that knows is the Vinanakhanda. Feelings that associate with the mind when contemplated on sensations are the aggregate of Vedanatkhanda. Recognition of the sensations that associate with the mind is the aggregate of Sanatkhanda. The other fifty concomitants of the mind, which include all volitional perceptions except consciousness and recognition, are known as the aggregate of Sankharatkhanda.

I will need to explain further using the Paticca Samupadda to differentiate cause and effect relationships, as you may not understand thoroughly.

Yes Sire, its getting more and more clear by your explanations.

Mogok Sayadaw: That’s right. It is better to let a Yogi know the basics before giving the practical aspects.

Yes Sire.

Mogok Sayadaw: After you know the five aggregates you must also understand roughly that the past Avijja-Tanha (ignorance and attachments) are the causes of Rupa-Nama (body and mind).

Yes my Lord.

Mogok Sayadaw: Now you repeat what I said to request for the meditation method.

"Kammathanan mae bhante detha sansara vatta dukkhataw mawcanatthaya"
        Bhante please give me with compassion, the right method of meditation in order to be free of the samsaric suffering. Repeat this three times. Now go and practise for an hour on what I have just taught you.

(To be continued)
(continued - MOGOK SAYADAW'S WAY TO THE VIPASSANA PRACTICE)

SECOND PART

[ U Kyaw Thein paid respect to the Mogok Sayadaw and went to his allotted place, which was not far from the Sayadaw’s room. He then started to practise Anapana as he was instructed, but could not prevent his mind from roaming for the first half an hour. He over heard the dialog between the Mogok Sayadawand a traditional medicine practitioner who was attending to the Mogok Sayadawin his room. The practitioner was discussing about a certain medicine text and the Mogok Sayadaw:told him that Metta was even more effective than medicine. U Kyaw Thein (KT)could not help his mind from overhearing the conversation and began to divert his attention to eaves drop the discussion. ]

Then the Mogok Sayadaw warned him from his room. "Maung Kyaw Thein, you are not mindful. Try to keep your mind from wandering."
        [ KT was amazed when he heard the Sayadaw’s voice as it was not possible for the Mogok Sayadaw:to see him from his room. There was another room in between his place and that of the Sayadaw. He did not know how he was caught, but became very astonished and concerned and tried his best to build up the concentration. He could not remember how long he had been meditating when he was summoned to see the Sayadaw. ]
        Mogok Sayadaw: Maung Kyaw Thein did you practise as I told you?
            Yes I did. I have kept my mind at the sternum Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Did it stay where it was kept then?
            No Sire, it didn’t at the beginning, but it stayed there later on.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When Anapana is practised for an hour and have obtained Samadhi, it was not possible if you did not have perseverance. That is Viriya (effort) and with this effort you have managed to sit for an hour. This is called Samma vayama, the right effort.
        Did your mind notice the movement of air at the sternum while you were breathing?
            Yes Sire, I did.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, you noticed the movement of air as you were mindful. This is called Samma sati, the right mindfulness.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you were practising Anapana did you mind wander to your home? Where did it go?
            No Sire, it didn’t go anywhere. It stayed at the sternum where it was kept.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, that was Samma samadhi, the right concentration. Your mind has stayed where it was kept.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: All right, you have developed Samadhi. However, you need to develop it further by breathing through the nose, but not through the mouth. When you are breathing do not try to notice if you are breathing with your right or left nostril, but try to develop Samadhi. You don’t need to follow other Samatha methods. If you breathe through the nose you must know that it is through the nose and if you take a deep breath you must know that you are doing so.
            Very well, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You have been instructed to keep your mind to the sternum at first. Now you must watch as the air touches the nostrils, sternum and umbilicus while you breathe in and vice versa as it goes out.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You must notice the outgoing and incoming air as if through the bellows and as a string of a lathe-file rubs the stick you must continuously watch the air at the place where it touches. You must notice when you breathe faster, and must know when it is slow. You must be aware when you breath is long/deep and also knows when it is short/shallow. However, you don’t need to watch the breath in a continuos stream. Just watch at the point of contact as if a saw cuts through the timber, but not along the edge of the saw. You must focus your mind at the point of contact of the air with the nostrils.
            I will, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: If you practise in this way and be mindful you can develop Samadhi within fifteen minutes when you become accustomed to it.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You need to know that it is the Rupa (matter) that was doing the breathing and it is the Nama (consciousness) that knew what you were doing. When you can differentiate between Nama and Rupa the knowledge developed is called Namarupa pariccheda nana (analytical knowledge of mind and matter). Cleansing of views is also involved simultaneously, which is known as Ditthi visuddhi. Remember this carefully.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you meditate you must know the followings.

• You need to know that there are two components of the mind. Mental factors (Cetisaka) and consciousness (Citta).
  • The mental factor (thought) must be in line with the consciousness when you contemplate.
  • Do not let the mental factor go astray from the consciousness.
  • Do not think of anything while meditating. Don’t let any thoughts come into the mind. If you can master your mind you can eliminate defilement (Kilesa). If you don’t you will neither be successful in your life nor can you eradicate the 1500 Kilesas.

Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: I will give you an example how to master your mind.
        Suppose a herd tender wanted to tame a raw cow he needs to put a post firmly into the ground, insert a rein into the cow’s nose, and tie it to the post and tame her. Likewise, you must tame your mind by fixing it to the cord of mindfulness (Sati) and tie it up to the post of the object of contemplation in your practice. Do you understand?
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: I’ll give you another example. If you want to catch a lizard that went into a burrow that had six holes, you need to close five holes and wait at the sixth. The analogy to this procedure would be to close all the five sense doors, namely your ears, eyes, nose, body, your tongue and then to wait at the last door, which is your mind. You will surely catch the thought as it occurs, just like you catch the lizard. Is that clear?
            Very well, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: All right, you keep them aside for a while. You go back and continue your practice to develop the concentration further. Then you can sleep after it.
[ U Kyaw Thein paid his respects and did as he was told. ]
[ The next day he went to see the Mogok Sayadaw at five in the morning while the Sayadaw was having breakfast. There were other experienced Yogis who came to meditate and they were interviewed and assessed by the Sayadaw after the breakfast. When his turn came the Sayadaw paid more attention, as he was a beginner. ]
        Mogok Sayadaw: Maung Kyaw Thein when did you start the meditation last night and when did you stop?
            I started at 11.30 PM and stopped at 1AM, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: How was your Samadhi?
            I could manage to get it Sire, but barely.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Why was that?
            I must admit that I felt sleepy Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Shame on you. That was due to excess in your determination. You must have persisted to meditate in your sitting posture. You should have changed it and did walking meditation instead, if you felt sleepy.
            Yes Sire.

(To be continued)

(continued - MOGOK SAYADAW'S WAY TO THE VIPASSANA PRACTICE

Mogok Sayadaw: It is all right to change the posture for beginners. As you become more experienced you may not need to change the posture when you feel sleepy.
            How would I do it Sire? I don’t know how to evade sleepiness without changing posture.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you become sleepy how was your breathing? Was it quicker or slower?
            It was slow and shallow, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, the breathing will be slower and you feel sleepy. Then what about your Sati at that time?
            It was poor, Sire. I was not mindful at that time.
        Mogok Sayadaw: "Ca catawva acasati, ca tawva pacasati." As mentioned in the Maha Satipatthana Sutta a Yogi who practises Anapana must breathe in and out with mindfulness. But you have lost mindfulness, you must never let it go.
            I admit I lost mindfulness, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You must breathe in fully and then breathe out fully. (You must notice as soon as the breathing becomes slower and correct it by breathing fully again. If you do not notice as soon as the breathing gets slower you may go into torpor and soon become sleepy) You must never let the mindfulness escape. If you breathe fully in this way for ten to fifteen minutes you can become alert again.
            Yes Sire, now I understand.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Another thing is, when you become angry don’t you breathe more harshly?
            Yes I do, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, why does the breathing become quick and harsh?
            I have no idea, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Maung Kyaw Thein, you note this down well. When you are angry your blood in the heart is bright red and hot. As the heart needs to beat faster it needs more energy and you have to breathe much faster. (Thus, the blood became redder and hot due to increased turbulence and flow)
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you recover from anger don’t you feel that your body is weary and tired?
            It is, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Why is that?
            I don’t know, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Because your heart beats much faster, but you do not realise it during the anger as you are not aware. Only after it you came to know about the situation and you become weary and tired.
            Exactly Sire, I have the experience.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Sometimes when you are carried away by greed or desire, you say you do not have the time to become tired, don’t you?
            Yes I do, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: That is you have followed your desires instead of your mind.
            Yes sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you meditate Anapana you must relax your body and your muscles. Only then you can breathe regularly and correctly. The Buddha said "Pacambayan Kayasankharan." That is you must breathe neither slowly nor quickly, and neither shallow nor deep, but regularly.
            Yes Sire, I will follow your instructions, but what shall I pay more attention?
        Mogok Sayadaw: You remember this very carefully. It is only Sati (concentration) that is never in excess. Saddha, Samadhi, Viriya, Panna (faith, concentration, effort and knowledge) must be developed simultaneously. If you could not develop them simultaneously and equally they would not be well balanced and either Uddhacca (distraction) or Htina middha (torpor or sloth) would result. At present, you have been instructed to meditate just to develop Samadhi. Don’t let it mix with anything else!
            Yes Sire.

(To be continued)
(continued - MOGOK SAYADAW'S WAY TO THE VIPASSANA PRACTICE)

THIRD PART

Mogok Sayadaw: You continue with the meditation after you have your breakfast. Only then you will develop the Samadhi. When you meditate let faith, knowledge, concentration and effort be well balanced as I have told you earlier. I am taking my time to explain in detail as you are a beginner. What’s so difficult to about practising Anapana. Go and practise till your Samadhi is strong and then come back.
        [ When the Mogok Sayadaw left U Kyaw Thein had his breakfast and continued his practice from six to eight in the morning. However, he did not have strong Samadhi despite the extended practice and he had to try repeatedly using all available means. ]
        [ After eight o’clock U Kyaw Thein helped preparing the meal for the Mogok Sayadaw together with those who came to the monastery for offering the necessities for Sangha. When everything was done he went to the Mogok Sayadaw:at nine o’clock to be assessed on his progress. ]
        Mogok Sayadaw: How are you doing Maung Kyaw Thein? Have you developed good Samadhi?
            Yes my Lord, I have developed a strong Samadhi now.
        Mogok Sayadaw: What position have you taken to meditate?
            Sire, I have done sitting meditation at the first hour and then did the walking meditation for the rest of the time.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You didn’t look like you have strong Samadhi though you said so.
            Can you, my Lord, tell exactly if a person has Samadhi or not just by looking the external appearances?
        Mogok Sayadaw smiled and replied "Dear Maung Kyaw Thein, I will explain to you later how different a person looked if he had the Samadhi. Take a bath after you have your meal and then make sure that you have no inconveniences. Otherwise you may have to disrupt the practise if you have the call of nature while meditating. These things are very interfering with the practice."
        [ Only then U Kyaw Thein realised his fault of having inconveniences while he was meditating earlier as he did not go to the loo before the six o’clock sitting. Now he did as he was advised and started the meditation from twelve noon till two o’clock. Later on he went to see the Mogok Sayadaw:in his room. Being a beginner he was given a special privilege to visit the Mogok Sayadawas often as he wished if he had any problems. ]
        Mogok Sayadaw: Have you developed a strong Samadhi now?
            Yes sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, you now have the Samadhi, but you must remember that Samadhi is like a column of mercury in a thermometer. It can go up and down according to the condition. When you are in meditation it is good. However, if you encounter with crude sensuality it can go down again.
            Yes Sire, but I have a strong Samadhi now.
        Mogok Sayadaw: All right, it’s enough. You can change over to Vipassana. First you must try to develop good Samadhi and then go to Vipassana.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You are asked to do Samadhi not to encourage you to practise Samatha. You must let go of the mindful breathing as soon as the mind is calm and then contemplate on any sensation that develops without any breach. If you contemplate more and more on sensations you will come to a point where you can overcome them. You will no longer register them as sensations, but only as arising or dissolving phenomenon. You will realise that all sensations including pleasant ones, unpleasant ones and neutral ones dissipate and come to an end. When you contemplate on sensations Vedana will appear, but when you watch them with analytical knowledge you will come to know that they are impermanent (Aniccha). If this wisdom is developed it can be regarded as the overcoming of Vedana (sensual perception). If you couldn’t comprehend the impermanence of sensual perceptions you haven’t overcome Vedana as yet. When a Yogi has surpassed Vedana or has eliminated them the Yogi will feel light, agile and fresh even after the meditation is over. That is why one needs to try hard to overcome Vedana. Mindfulness of breathing in Samatha is just to make the mind calm, but it cannot lead to Nibbana. You must remember this very well.
            Yes my Lord.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Vipassana is to keep the mind on the wisdom path and watch and realise the phenomenon of mind and matter as they are. The physical body that we have at present is continuously forming and decaying from cradle to coffin. It must be comprehended that impermanence (Aniccha), suffering (Dukkha) and impersonal characteristics (Anatta) are the only realities that can be found.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When Rupa and Nama (body and mind) are comprehended as Aniccha, Dukkha and Anatta repeatedly, and the arising and dissolving phenomenon are perceived it is known to have reached the Udayabbaya nana. You remember? Do you understand?
            Yes my Lord.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You need to know these facts clearly. If they are not clarified beforehand using acquired knowledge your progress will not be substantial. So I will have to go further to remove false views (Ditthi) and doubts (Vicikccha). Maung Kyaw Thein, if you want to be a stream winner (Sotapanna) what should you remove first?
            Yes Sire, I need to remove Ditthi and Vicikiccha first.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, where do false views and doubts lie?
            I have no idea, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Ditthi and Vicikiccha are attached with the five aggregates of mind and matter.
            Yes Sire, now I know.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Now you know that they are attached to the five aggregates. If you do not know where these five aggregates come from and how they are arising and dissolving, you could not remove false views and doubts by any means.
            All right, my Lord.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You may have the book knowledge or have acquired from teachers that the five aggregates are Rupakhanda, Vedanakhanda, Sannakhanda, Sankharakhanda and Vinanakhanda, but if you do not know the causes and reasons for their becoming and disintegration false views would adhere to you despite the acquired knowledge. That is why you need to know Paticcasamupadda, the cycle of dependant arising first if you want to have insight into the five aggregates. So, I will teach you the Paticcasamupadda. Go and fetch the cycle of dependant arising chart from my room. Do you still remember anything about Paticcasamupadda?
            Yes Sire, I could remember only a few aspects.
        [ When he brought the chart]
        The Mogok Sayadaw said "Right, place it in front of you. I’ll show you. What you have learnt about dependant arising in the past was only an acquired knowledge."
            I have only the book knowledge, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: If you do not know Paticcasamupadda there is no way you can know the aggregates. If you do not know the aggregates, false views will adhere. That’s why you need to comprehend Paticcasamupadda. Book knowledge is not enough.
            Yes Sire, I will try to understand it.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Do you still remember it by heart?
            Yes I do, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: In that case I won’t elaborate on it (Please refer to Paticcasamupadda on the web site). You must remember that there are two forms of dependant arising. What you know from the book about Paticcasamupadda is one thing and there is also another Paticcasamupadda that is arising and dissolving in the body. You must understand the Paticcasamupadda of the body in order to make progress. Do you follow me?
            Yes Sire.
Pointing at the diagram of the circle of dependent arising The Mogok Mogok Sayadawcontinued "That’s why I am going to show you the causes and reasons for arising and dissolving of the five aggregates. Do you know that your volitional responses (Sankhara) of the past existence, which were carried out without wisdom (Avijja) have resulted in the body that you have it now?"
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Those were in the past and therefore they were out of your control. They were past Paticcasamupadda and did not concern you. Again the future Paticcasamuppada has not arrived yet and so it does not concern you. The most important thing is to understand the present Paticcasamupadda. Is that clear?
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Which Samupadda concerns you?
            The present one my Lord.
        Mogok Sayadaw: What about the past?
            It doesn’t concern us, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: And the future?
            No Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Where do false views and doubts attach?
            To the five aggregates, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, they are attached to the five aggregates. If I ask you whose hair is this, you will answer that it is your hair. The false view attaches to Rupakhanda, the hair. If I say that the tea is very nice, it attaches to Vedanakhanda, the feeling or taste. If I say that this sentence is written by me, I note down this line, then the false view attaches to Sannakhanda, the interpretation of a feeling. When I say that my weaving is exceptionally good, then the false view attaches to Sankharakhanda, the reaction to a feeling. And if I say "Don’t you dare try me" then the false view attaches to the Vinnakhanda, the consciousness or self esteem. These are the places of attachment, do you follow me?
            Yes sire.

(To be continued)     
(continued and finished - MOGOK SAYADAW'S WAY TO THE VIPASSANA PRACTICE)

Mogok Sayadaw: Then you must detach the false views and doubts from the aggregates. Theoretically, if Rupa and Nama (matter and mind) can be differentiated they say that false views are detached. However, there is one more thing to understand.
        Only when you understand the cause of Paticcasamupadda and the effect of Paticcasamupadda you will detach yourself from false views and doubts. If you know the cause of aggregates you can eliminate the false views. If you don’t, the false views will stay. If you know that the effect (of anything that happens in you) is due to the causes of aggregates, then you can eliminate the false views totally.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: If you understand that there are only causes and effects, but no persons and beings (non-personalised view) you can eliminate the false views.
            Very well, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: What you need to work is the present Paticcasamupadda. It doesn’t mean the whole day, but what you see or hear at the present moment. It is important to watch the present moment when you meditate now. Don’t recall the past and don’t look forward to the future, but watch what is happening at present. By the way, how old are you now?
            Forty, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, even if your are forty you may consider that you have the same appearance as you were in your younger age, then it is Sassata Ditthi, the unchanging perverted view.
            Yes Sire
        Mogok Sayadaw: If you consider that you can risk your life for money, that you do not care about your life as you think that there is nothing after dying (dying is better than suffering), then it is Uccheda Ditthi, the annihilation view. You must not consider like this as well. Do you understand?
            Yes, my Lord.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You must cleanse of these two false views (Sassata and Uccheda dtithi) first before you meditate.
            Yes, I’ll do it, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: If you know the disintegration phenomena of mind and matter you cleanse the Sassata ditthi, and if you know the arising phenomena you cleanse the Uccheda ditthi.
            I’ve cleansed them, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, it is only with the book knowledge. Is that clear? Don’t attach yourself to mind and matter as "You, me."
            Very well, Sire. I will no longer get attached.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Then it is enough. Go to a quiet place and start the meditation. You practise Samatha only to get a good Samadhi (concentration). Sit straight, know the incoming and outgoing breaths, the Samadhi will become good, then you must not lax the effort at that time. Let the awareness (Sati) and knowledge (Panna) go together, the physical body will start showing changes and you will notice sensations (Vedana). Try to overcome the feeling that arises, if you watch your mind focus on the thoughts. If a sound is heard while watching thoughts you must notice that it is heard.
            Very well, Sire. I will watch and register whatever comes.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, after you register it you must consider that your mind is your consciousness. Then contemplate on the incoming and outgoing breaths with your consciousness and consider that those are the two hosts of consciousness. If you hear a sound while watching it is the hearing consciousness, if you smell anything with your nose it is the smelling consciousness. Likewise you register your taste consciousness with your tongue and seeing consciousness with your eyes. If you feel a pleasant sensation on your body it is the pleasant consciousness, if it is unpleasant it is the unpleasant consciousness.
        "Dukkha sahagata kayavinana sukha sahagata kayavinana" as the literature goes, there will be an unpleasant feeling on the body sometimes and a pleasant feeling on the body. There are altogether six consciousness including these two on the body. You note it down.
            Yes sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Are these six thoughts always occurring in the mind?
            No Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: They occur occasionally, so they must be regarded as "External Visiting Consciousness."
            Right Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When one thought occurs the other five thoughts do not arise. If a mosquito bites you while watching (your two hosts) breathing consciousness, an itching or an unpleasant consciousness may follow, then watch that itching consciousness.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: How many external visiting thoughts are there altogether?
            Six, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, are these thoughts always there?
            No Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Next, there are five "Internal Visiting Thoughts" that associate with consciousness. They are thoughts of greediness (Loba), anger (Dosa), delusion (Moha), absence of grasping (Aloba), and absence of aversion (Adosa). Amoha is not included here as it is the consciousness that must watch other thoughts. Therefore, the five internal visitors and six external visitors, altogether eleven visiting thoughts must be watched whatever that arises in the consciousness. When one thought arises the other five do not arise. Just watch the existing thought that occurs.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Right, if none of these thoughts occur go back to the consciousness of breathing in and out and watch continuously. These two are the hosts consciousness, remember?
            Yes I do, Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: You must follow the example of a spider while meditating. Spiders make webs and wait in the middle to catch any insects that are caught in the web. They go after whatever insect that is caught in the web, devour them and return to the middle. As a spider waits in the middle when there is no insect, you must also do the same and watch your breath when there is no thought.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: When you contemplate on consciousness a thought that tells you to start meditating will arise first. Watch that first thought and you will notice that it arises and falls subsequently. It will disappear as soon as you sit down to meditate.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: Try to see it with your mind. When you contemplate on it you will know that it has disappeared. This sort of knowing of actual phenomena (what’s happening) is called Yathabuta nana.
            Yes Sire.
        Mogok Sayadaw: If there is no thought arising, you watch the incoming and outgoing breaths alternately. You need to watch this very carefully. If you can follow this quickly you will progress, but if you are less aware of it your progress will be slow. If there is a defilement (Kilesa) in-between the two breathing consciousness you won’t progress. Try to prevent the Kilesa intervention. If there is no object of meditation and you don’t watch, Avijja can come in. You must be aware of this fact. Do you understand? Now go and meditate.
            Very well, Sire.

(The End)

Tứ Niệm Xứ

https://toaikhanh.com/read.php?doc=201908011335&lan=vn

Trong Trung bộ kinh rồi trong cả Trường bộ kinh, chúng ta có thể thấy ở đó hai bài kinh Đại Niệm Xứ mà Đức Phật đã xác định rằng: Tứ niệm xứ là cái con đường duy nhất, con đường duy nhất để dẫn đến giải thoát.

Có một điều là rất nhiều người trong chúng ta hôm nay có một cái hiểu lầm: Chúng ta phân biệt pháp học với pháp hành. Chúng ta cho là cái người đi theo pháp học không có biết pháp hành, mà người đi theo pháp hành thì không có mắc mớ gì pháp học. Đó là trong cách nghĩ của nhiều người Việt Nam. Chứ thật ra Tứ Niệm Xứ nó là cái gì?
[Image: 4nx.jpg]Tứ Niệm Xứ nó là gì? Ở đây có hai điểm mà bà con phải lưu ý: Thứ nhứt, người mà đại căn, đại duyên mà gặp được cái bậc thầy, bậc thầy lớn như là Đức Phật và các bậc Thánh tăng ấy, cái người mà đại căn, đại duyên mà gặp được các bậc thầy lớn như vậy đó, thì người ta không cần chuẩn bị gì hết. Người ta chỉ nghe thôi, chỉ nghe một câu kệ bốn dòng hay là một thời pháp thoại ngắn thì có thể ngay tại chỗ ngồi mà tu Tứ Niệm Xứ. Tu Tứ Niệm Xứ là cái gì? Là chánh niệm tỉnh giác. Họ nhìn lại thân tâm của họ là do các duyên mà có, tất cả thiện ác, buồn vui do duyên mà có, có rồi phải mất. Họ chỉ thấy bao nhiêu đó là họ thấy được bốn đế, 12 duyên khởi. Rồi họ đắc Thánh ngay tại chỗ. Đó là trường hợp một, là đại căn đại duyên mà lại được sự hướng dẫn bởi các bậc thầy lớn.

Trường hợp hai là không có được hai cái điều kiện đó; thì bắt buộc chúng ta phải lấy công làm lời. Có nghĩa là phải học giáo lý và phải tiếp xúc với nhiều bậc thầy, để mình tìm ra một cái đường lối hướng dẫn nào thích hợp với mình nhất. Rồi nhờ đến những sự hỗ trợ thí dụ như là trú xứ, điều kiện sinh hoạt, khí hậu, thời tiết, thực phẩm v.v. Thì trường hợp thứ hai đó là dành cho cái người không có được như cái trường hợp một. Nhưng mà tựu trung lại thì pháp môn Tứ Niệm Xứ vẫn là cái con đường giải thoát duy nhất. Là bởi vì thông qua cái con đường đó, chúng ta mới có thể nhận thức một cách đầy đủ và chính xác về bản thân mình. Mình sanh tử là do mình hiểu lầm về bản thân mình. Khi mình hiểu lầm về bản thân mình có nghĩa mình cũng mù tịt về người khác. Trong khi đó nếu mình hiểu mình, thì cũng có nghĩa là mình hiểu được người khác. Và cũng từ đó mình hiểu được cái gọi là vũ trụ và thế giới tất cả chỉ là do các duyên tạo nên. Mà làm sao thấy được đây?

Cái chuyện đầu tiên là anh thấy bản thân anh trước. Anh thấy là anh lúc thiện lúc ác, lúc buồn lúc vui. Anh thấy rằng đời sống của anh là một chuỗi dài tiếp nối liên tục, liên lũy giữa nhân với quả. Nhân có đó mất đó, quả có đó mất đó. Đời sống là sự tiếp nối liên tục giữa nhân và quả, cái sau nó thay thế cho cái trước, đại khái như vậy. Thì nói chung là pháp môn Tứ Niệm Xứ là con đường giải thoát duy nhất. Chúng ta thấy một người chỉ nghe một câu họ đắc cũng là pháp môn Tứ Niệm Xứ. Hoặc cái người mà lên rừng lên núi, kiêng khem khổ hạnh, thanh bần khổ tu suốt nhiều năm thì cũng là Tứ Niệm Xứ. Miễn là đi đúng cái tinh thần Tứ Niệm Xứ. Tứ Niệm Xứ là sống chánh niệm, luôn luôn sống chánh niệm.

Trích bài giảng ngày 25/06/2019 KTC.6.117 Quán
Kalama xin tri ân bạn elteetee ghi chép toàn vẹn bài giảng KTC.6.117 Quán

Làm Chủ Cảm Thọ | | Kalama

Đau Đớn và Khổ Thọ

https://toaikhanh.com/read.php?doc=202001021107&lan=vn 

Người có tu chứng, có hiểu biết, có nhận thức thì họ không thấy cái chuyện "tôi bất thiện" hay là "tôi thiện". Họ không có thấy như vậy, họ không có nghĩ như vậy, họ không có quan niệm như vậy, họ không có nhận thức như vậy, họ không có ý niệm như vậy. Mà họ thấy rất rõ rằng:

1. Bất thiện là gì? Đó là giây phút tâm xấu có mặt.

2. Tu tập là gì? Đó là giây phút tâm lành có mặt.
Chỉ vậy thôi và chỉ vậy thôi.
Thay vì lúc đau đớn nghĩ rằng "tôi đang đau đớn, thân xác của tôi đang bị đau đớn" thì vị hành giả chỉ ghi nhận rằng "khổ thọ đang có mặt". Xong. Không hề có một cái "tôi" nào ở đây hết.

Và tôi khẳng định với các vị, có một sự khác biệt rất là lớn giữa hai cái nhận thức:

1. "Tôi đang bị đau đớn, thân thể của tôi đang có vấn đề." Đó là một nhận thức.

2. Nhận thức hai đơn giản hơn: "Đau khổ đang có mặt, khổ thọ đang có mặt và cũng đang mất đi." Nhận thức hai này nó bóc tách được cái "tôi" ra, và như vậy thì tình hình nó khác đi, nó nhẹ đi nhiều lắm.

Kalama hoàn hỷ tri ân bạn elteetee ghi chép toàn bộ bài giảng KTC.6.99 Khổ

Sức Quyến Rũ | | Tu Trùm Mền
Mê Tín

https://toaikhanh.com/read.php?doc=201910070928&lan=vn

Quote:KTC 6. 9. 93. Hành
Này các Tỷ-kheo, có sáu trường hợp không thể xả ra. Thế nào là sáu? Người đầy đủ tri kiến không thể chấp nhận bất cứ hành nào là thường còn; người đầu đủ tri kiến không thể chấp nhận bất cứ hành nào là lạc; người đầy đủ tri kiến không thể chấp nhận bất cứ hành nào là ngã; người đầy đủ tri kiến không thể làm hành động vô gián; người đầy đủ tri kiến không thể làm cho thanh tịnh với những lễ nghi đặc biệt; người đầy đủ tri kiến không thể đi tìm các vị đáng được cúng dường ngoài chư Tăng. Này các Tỷ-kheo, đây là sáu trường hợp không thể xảy ra.

9. 93. Dutiyaabhabbaṭṭhānasuttaṃ
‘‘Chayimāni, bhikkhave, abhabbaṭṭhānāni. Katamāni cha? Abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci saṅkhāraṃ niccato upagantuṃ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci saṅkhāraṃ sukhato upagantuṃ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci dhammaṃ attato upagantuṃ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo ānantariyaṃ kammaṃ kātuṃ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kotūhalamaṅgalena suddhiṃ paccāgantuṃ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo ito bahiddhā dakkhiṇeyyaṃ gavesituṃ. Imāni kho, bhikkhave, cha abhabbaṭṭhānānī’’

Điều thứ nhất: Một người hiểu được bốn đế (Tứ Diệu Đế: Khổ, Tập, Diệt, Đạo) thì đầu tiên là hiểu được mọi thứ là khổ. Và vị đó không chấp nhận bất cứ cái gì ở đời này là vĩnh cửu.

Điều thứ 2: Khi mà hiểu được mọi thứ ở đời không có gì là vĩnh cửu, thì vị đó đồng thời cũng hiểu được là trong đời này cái gì nó cũng nằm trong 3 khổ:
  1. khổ khổ, nghĩa là như vừa nói, là cái gì nó làm cho thân tâm mình khó chịu,

2. hoại khổ là sự biến mất của những gì làm cho mình dễ chịu, và

3. hành khổ là cái tánh lệ thuộc vào các điều kiện để có mặt.
Cho nên khi thấy được mọi sự là vô thường thì vị Tu Đà Huờn cũng cùng lúc thấy được mọi sự là khổ.

(Còn tiếp)
(tiếp theo - MÊ TÍN)

Điều thứ 3: Khi thấy mọi sự là vô thường, là khổ thì vị đó không có lý do gì mà tin tưởng 1 cái tôi thường hằng bất biến. Cái gọi ông A, bà B, là Tôi, là Ta nó chỉ là sự ghép nối của vô số những đơn vị pháp giới phù du mong manh. Ở đây không có 1 cái cá thể đơn thuần nào mà tồn tại đời đời kiếp kiếp. Trong kinh ghi rất rõ:

"Không hề có ai chịu khổ, chỉ có sự khổ mà thôi.
Không có ai tạo ra khồ, chỉ có nguyên nhân sanh khổ.
Không có ai thoát khổ, chỉ có cứu cánh thoát khổ.
Và cuối cùng, chỉ có con đường hành trì thoát khổ, chứ không có ai là người hành trì."

Phải hiểu rốt ráo như vậy. Vị Tu Đà Huờn thấy như vậy đó. Vị Tu Đà Huờn thành tựu trọn vẹn tri kiến thanh tịnh về Tam Tướng, thấy rõ (nghĩa là có thần) vạn hữu ở đời đều là vô thường, khổ và vô ngã.

Điều thứ 4: Vị Tu Đà Huờn không có tạo nghiệp vô gián. Trong kinh dịch là hành động vô gián, nghe mệt quá. Tiếng Pali là ānantariyaṃ kammaṃ. Kamma có nghĩa là việc làm, hành động, thiện ác. Nhưng mà ở đây thì phải dịch là nghiệp vô gián, nghiệp ngũ nghịch, gồm 5 thứ: giết cha, giết mẹ, giết La Hán, làm thân Phật chảy máu, và chia rẽ chúng tăng (tức là phá hoại hội chúng tăng giả đang hòa hợp thanh tịnh). Vị Tu Đà Huờn không thể làm mấy cái chuyện đó.

(Còn tiếp)
(tiếp theo - MÊ TÍN)

Điều thứ 5: Trong kinh thì nói là "không thể làm cho thanh tịnh với những lễ nghi đặc biệt", đó là bản dịch mà đọc rất là mệt. Tiếng Pali "kotūhalamaṅgalena" có nghĩa là "mê tín dị đoan". Đó. Nó khổ như vậy đó. Bản tiếng Việt lại để là "làm cho thanh tịnh với những lễ nghi đặc biệt". Và ở đây tôi cũng báo tin luôn cho các vị là các vị hoàn hoàn có thể dò xét các lời dịch của chúng tôi, nhe, những lời dịch mà chúng tôi sửa lại đó. Các vị có thể dò trên internet, bằng tiếng Đức, tiếng Anh sẽ thấy rất là rõ ràng chứ không phải là lờ mờ. Trong đó "kotūhalamaṅgalena" có nghĩa là mê tín dị đoan. Nghĩa là vị Tu Đà Huờn không thể nào còn mê tín dị đoan. Là sao? Có nghĩa là vì tin tưởng vào nghiệp lý (làm thiện được vui, làm ác bị khổ), tin tưởng lý tam tướng (phàm cái gì ở đời đều do duyên mà có, và có rồi phải mất) nên Vị Tu Đà Huờn thấy rõ rằng nếu mà có 1 đời sống hợp lý thì tự nhiên gia đạo an hòa, sức khỏe ổn định. Chứ không cần phải cúng bái, đặt hết niềm tin vào phong thủy, tử vi, cúng tế ông này bà nọ. Vị đó tin tưởng:
  1. mọi sự ở đời đều do duyên mà có - không phải do ngẫu nhiên,

2. tiền nghiệp thiện ác có 1 phần quan trọng trong đời sống của mình,

3. sống hợp lý thì tự nhiên được an lạc, còn sống phản khoa học, phản y học thì nó sẽ nảy sinh ra đủ thứ vấn đề.
Vị đó không thể tiếp tục duy trì niềm tin theo kiểu mê tín dị đoan, những điều trái đạo, trái khoa học. Vị Tu Đà Huờn không thể mê tín dị đoan.

Điều thứ 6: cái điều này cũng hơi nội bộ một chút, tiếng Pali gọi là na ito bahiddhā dakkhiṇeyyaṃ gavesati.

[i]ito: từ đây, từ chỗ này
[/i]

bahiddhā: ngoài ra, bên ngoài

gavesati: đi tìm

dakkhiṇeyya: đối tượng cúng bái
[i]na ito bahiddhā dakkhiṇeyyaṃ gavesati: Vị Tu Đà Huờn không có tìm đối tượng cúng bái ngoài ra Tam bảo.[/i]

Chuyện đó không có.

Nói như vậy không có nghĩa là Đức Phật Ngài kêu gọi đệ tử của Ngài là chỉ tập trung cuồng tín vào Ngài và đệ tử của Ngài, không phải vậy. Mà Ngài dạy rằng với một cái niềm tin, với một hiểu biết của người thấy được 4 đế, thì vị đó thấy rằng cái gì mà nó thuận ứng với cái trí tuệ giác ngộ của mình thì các vị coi đó là cái đường lối để mà sống, đường lối để mà hành trì.

(Còn tiếp)
(tiếp theo - MÊ TÍN)

Thì ở đây một vị Tu Đà Huờn không có còn lăng xăng tìm đến thầy này, bà nọ ngoài ra Tam bảo. Tôi xác định một điều nữa là Đức Phật không hề có cái chuyện Ngài kêu gọi chỉ có trong giáo pháp này mà Ngài có nói câu này trong kinh Đại bát niết bàn, Ngài nói "Ở đâu có bát chánh đạo thì ở đó được gọi là giáo pháp." Nhớ nha. Và ngoài cái giáo pháp bát chánh đạo thì không có thánh nhân. Ngài nói rõ chứ Ngài không nói là đạo Phật, đạo Chúa, Ngài không có nói. Mà Ngài chỉ nói là ở đâu có bát chánh đạo thì ở đó là chánh pháp, mà ngoài bát chánh đạo tức là ngoài cái chánh pháp đó, chánh pháp mà được định nghĩa là bát chánh đạo đó, thì không có thánh nhân. Mà khi không có thánh nhân có nghĩa là cái gọi là đối tượng xứng đáng để cúng bái sẽ không có.

Nếu một vị linh mục hoặc một giáo sĩ đạo Hồi mà có đầu óc khách quan, trung thực thì tôi tin chắc rằng họ phải đồng ý cái này là đúng. Nếu mà một ông linh mục mà ổng có cái đầu óc khách quan thì ổng phải đồng ý cái này là đúng. Là vì sao? Bây giờ ổng làm ơn ổng lột bỏ cái nhãn hiệu Phật giáo, lột bỏ đi, ổng chỉ lấy cái tinh thần bát chánh đạo ổng sẽ nhìn nhận là ở đâu mà có người hành trì bát chánh đạo thì phải nói là cái đối tượng đó là đối tượng đáng kính. Ở đâu có chánh kiến, chánh tư duy, chánh ngữ, nghiệp, chánh mạng thì cái đó là đối tượng đáng kinh.

Đó! Cái điều này, tôi nói lại, một ông linh mục Thiên Chúa, hoặc một ông giáo sĩ đạo Hồi, giáo sĩ Do Thái, cái ông Guru của Ấn giáo, nếu mà ổng có đầu óc khách quan, bình tĩnh hơn, bình tĩnh lại thì ổng phải đồng ý mấy cái đó là đúng. Đời sống thánh hạnh đó ở đâu thì cái đối tượng kính lễ phải nằm ở đó.

Chớ còn nếu mà mình nghe giảng, mình coi kinh mình mà không có hiểu cái chỗ này mình thấy nó kỳ kỳ. Mình thấy giống như đạo này kêu gọi đừng có đi thương quí ai hết. Sai, sai. Ở đây đạo Phật chỉ nói đến cái giá trị thôi, đạo Phật không hề nói đến vấn đề phe phái, bè đảng, vây cánh. Đạo Phật không có nói cái đó. Đạo Phật chỉ nói cái chất lượng, cái phẩm chất, cái nội dung hành trì thôi, chứ đạo Phật không có xài cái nhãn hiệu. Một người không có pháp danh, chưa từng thọ lễ qui y Phật giáo, người đó xưa nay chỉ biết nhà thờ, nhưng nếu một ngày kia nghe giảng hoặc xem sách rồi về mà sống, hành trì theo tinh thần bát chánh đạo thì đó vẫn là một người khả kính.

(Còn tiếp)
(tiếp theo và hết - MÊ TÍN)

Tôi phải nói là tôi thù cái chữ "pháp danh" lắm, pháp danh và "lễ quy y". Tôi biết nhiều người sẽ ném đá tôi banh xác luôn nhưng tôi vẫn nói. Tại sao tôi thù hai cái chữ đó? Tại vì đó là một cái thứ mà tôi cho là đệ nhất cuồng tín, đệ nhất ngộ nhận. Cứ nghĩ rằng có pháp danh, có thọ lễ quy y là Phật tử. Tôi ghét là ghét cái đó, ghét cái tào lao.

Anh có pháp danh mà anh có hiểu đạo hay không? Anh không có học giáo lý thì có pháp danh để làm cái gì? Thứ hai, anh nói với tôi là anh có thọ lễ quy y, đúng không? Anh thọ lễ xong rồi anh về anh có học giáo lý không? Anh có biết Phật dạy cái gì không? Không. Cái thứ ba, cái này mới bậy nè: Anh có pháp danh, anh có thọ lễ quy y xong rồi anh chẳng biết Tam bảo thật sự là cái gì. Mà anh cứ cắm đầu anh thờ cái ông sư phụ mà ban cho anh cái pháp danh, truyền cái quy giới cho anh, anh chỉ thờ cái ông đó.

Cái đó còn tệ hơn, còn tệ nữa. Cho nên tại sao tôi xài cái chữ thù? Không phải tôi xài quá lố, xài cái chữ nặng mà đó là sự thật. Tôi ghét cái đó lắm, tôi ghét cái vụ mà "pháp danh" với "lễ quy y". Cái này tôi nghe nhiều lắm: "Chị có thọ quy y chưa? Chị có pháp danh chưa?" Họ tưởng cái đó là cái hay ho lắm. Tôi nói cái đó nó còn tệ hơn là bằng cấp ngoài đời nữa. Vì bằng cấp ngoài đời ít ra nó cũng phải trải qua một thời gian được đào tạo, được huấn luyện người ta mới có bằng cấp. Ngay cả làm nail nó cũng có một cái giấy chứng nhận. Còn đằng này cái pháp danh, cái lễ quy y nó chưa đủ đâu vào đâu hết trơn.

Đạo Phật nguyên thủy là chỉ nhắm cái phẩm chất, cái nội dung, cái chất lượng thôi. Chứ còn ba cái thứ pháp danh, ba cái lễ quy y đó không có đủ để gọi là một cái bằng chứng đâu. Nhiều lắm nó chỉ là cái nhãn hiệu cho mấy cái người mê nhãn hiệu, mấy cái người tào lao.

(Hết)
Thất Thánh Sản

https://toaikhanh.com/read.php?doc=202001091015&lan=vn

Bảy Tài sản của thánh nhân gồm có:

1. Tín là Chánh tín là niềm tin trên cơ sở Trí tuệ.
2. Thí là khả năng trao ra về tinh thần và vật chất. Về tinh thần là sẵn sàng chia xẻ kiến thức cho người khác, chia xẻ tình cảm cho người khác, không có đố kỵ, ghen tỵ trong tình cảm hay trong kiến thức. Chia xẻ về vật chất nghĩa là chia xẻ về chỗ ở, chia xẻ về vật dụng, chia xẻ về thực phẩm, v.v… Nói chung Thí gồm có hai là sự rộng lượng về cả tinh thần lẫn vật chất. Bỏn xẻn cũng có 5 - trong đó có cả tinh thần lẫn vật chất. Bố Thí là mình sống không có bị mắc vào 5 cái bỏn xẻn đó.
3. Giới là học giới nào mà mình đã thọ trì mình không để cho nó mất. Thí dụ như là giới cư sĩ thì giữ 5 giới, 8 giới không để cho mất. Giới tăng ni của người xuất gia đã nhận rồi không để cho mất. Đã nhận giới nào là không bỏ mất giới đó.
4. Văn là khả năng trau dồi học tập giáo lý. Giỏi dở chưa biết nhưng cái lòng hiếu học được gọi là Văn. Cho nên trong chú giải Pháp cú Đức Phật có dạy: "Biết một câu kệ 4 dòng nhưng biết bằng tất cả thiện chí, bằng tất cả sự nhận thức hiểu biết ý nghĩa tới nơi tới chốn thì được gọi là Đa Văn." Trong khi đó mình học tuy nhiều nhưng cái nào cũng hiểu lơ mơ, lan man thì cái đó không phải là đa văn. Cái đó là cái tiệm chạp phô hay là vựa ve chai đồng nát phế liệu chứ còn mình không có khả năng mà đúc kết hay hệ thống hóa lại cái mình biết. Chữ Văn đây phải hiểu là lòng hiếu học cộng với nhận thức đúng đắn cộng với lý tưởng trau dồi kiến thức giáo lý.
5. Tàm là biết thẹn trong những điều xấu.
6. Úy là biết sợ trong những điều xấu.
Tùy vào căn cơ trình độ của mỗi người mà chúng ta thẹn trong cái gì, biết sợ trong cái gì. Có người họ không có tệ đến mức ăn trộm ăn cắp của người khác, họ biết sợ. Nhưng cái gì thuộc của công mà lấy được thì họ lấy liền. Có loại người vậy đó. Tức là họ không có cái tệ lậu, không có vô liêm sĩ đến mức ăn trộm ăn cắp, không tới mức đó, nhưng hễ cái gì thuộc của công mà lấy được là họ lấy liền. Thí dụ họ đi làm trong sở, thì ba cái ly giấy, ly nhựa hay là mấy cái cuộn giấy Kleenex, napkin gì mà lấy được là họ tranh thủ họ lấy. Cho nên nhà cầu công cộng bên Trung Quốc phần lớn là không có giấy để sẵn mà nếu có là người ta để giấy xấp xấp từng miếng đặng cho người ta ít có lấy. Chứ còn để nguyên cuộn là họ lấy nguyên cuộn, lạ vậy đó. Trong khi những xứ văn minh tiên tiến chỉ việc tham cái không phải của mình là đủ để cho người ta thẹn rồi. Ở Châu Á mình thì cái Tham mình chia ra làm nhiều lớp: Một, trộm cướp là Tham cấp một. Hai, hứng thú trong của công. Ba, hứng thú trong của rơi. Tùy người. Có người họ ở trình độ cao nhất thì chỉ cần không phải của mình là mình không có Tham, có lòng dấu của rơi lòng cũng thấy thẹn, có lòng lấy của công cộng lòng cũng thấy thẹn. Nhưng có người chỉ cần không có trộm cắp là được rồi.
Cho nên hồi nãy tôi có nói tùy vào cái trình độ của mỗi người mà chúng ta có Tàm Úy khác nhau. Tôi có trích dẫn trường hợp mình không có làm gì bậy bạ hết nhưng mà mình lại hài lòng quá sớm với những thành tựu của mình. Thì cái đó đối với bậc thượng trí họ cũng thấy thẹn. Thí dụ làm ông sư thì lâu lâu Phật tử đi chùa mình cũng biết tụng kinh, cũng biết ngồi nói sơ sơ. Sau đó tu lâu lâu được giao cái chùa mình tưởng vậy là đủ, nhưng một lúc nào đó nghĩ lại mình cũng thấy thẹn là bởi vì người xuất gia phải làm được những việc mà cư sĩ không làm được, còn đằng này người ta quì lạy dưới chân mình mà mình chỉ làm toàn là mấy cái chuyện mà cư sĩ làm được thôi. Thí dụ như mình ngồi mình đếm sổ sách chi thu, rồi mình sơn phết sửa chửa chùa miễu, ngày hai buổi công phu, lâu lâu có người ta vô rồi tụng cho thời cầu an cầu siêu, tân gia khánh thành, lâu lâu người ta vô cúng dường thỉnh nghe pháp mình cũng làm cái 15, 20 phút vậy. Thì những cái đó cư sĩ họ làm được hết. Nếu mình biết thẹn là đã thẹn ngay trong chuyện đó rồi. Người xuất gia phải làm những gì mà người cư sĩ không làm được thì mới nên xem đó là đạo nghiệp, còn nếu mình làm ngang với họ thì chưa đủ để gọi là đạo nghiệp.
7. Trí ở đây có nhiều cách hiểu. Trí là hiểu cái gì nên, cái gì không nên, cái gì tốt, cái gì xấu, cái gì nên, làm cái gì nên tránh. Trí gồm có 3:

1. Cấp 1: Trí về kiến thức biết phân biệt A, B khác nhau, biết phân biệt cái này cái kia, là Trí biết phân loại. Thí dụ mình có bằng bác sĩ, kỹ sư, hoặc là mình đi chùa mình có học giáo lý, mình biết cái này là Danh cái này là Sắc, biết cái này là thập thiện cái này là thập ác.

2. Cấp 2: Biết rõ trong cái đống mình phân loại cái gì nên làm và cái gì không nên làm.

3. Cấp 3: Là Trí sanh diệt, là Trí rốt ráo, là thấy rằng dầu chuyện không nên làm mình không được làm mà kể cả chuyện nên làm cũng là cái khổ trầm luân, biết rằng thiện ác buồn vui đều đáng sợ đáng chán hết, tu hành là để cầu cái quả vô sinh.

Bởi vì chưa biết đạo mình chạy theo cái thích nhưng tới hồi biết đạo ba mớ rồi mình chạy theo cái thiện thôi, đó là thích và ghét. Rồi bây giờ mình chỉ quan tâm đến thiện và ác. Và đi bước ba thấy rằng thiện hay ác, thích hay ghét đều là đáng sợ hết bởi vì nó nằm trong cõi sinh tử.

Trích bài giảng KTC.7.8 Các Kiết Sử
Kalama xin tri ân bạn elteetee ghi chép

Thương Được Kẻ Thù | | Lựa Chọn

[Image: blnk.gif]

English
Kinh nghiệm thiền quán hơi thở của ông Robert Hardwood được anh Anatta kể lại.

Kinh nghiệm thiền tập quán Hơi Thở:
http://vietbestforum.com/showthread.php?tid=15648